copbadge

What Glue For Leather?

What is the best glue to use for holding leather prior to machine sewing?

Are there any special things I need to know about using it?

How long does it need to dry before sewing?

There are several glues you can use. Rubber cement is one and I have a tube of gorilla super glue I sometimes use. Contact cement would also work as you won't want it to move after you glue it and prior to sewing. I am sure others will chime in also.

I have used Tandy rubber cement just to hold stuff, contact cement when you don't want it to come apart. I tried barge cement one time and manged to get it all over me, the project, and the table. 3m spray adhesive for things like liners. I usually hand stitch things so I don't know how machine sewing might affect them. I usually leave a project overnight or for several hours after I glue it up. I try to use a roller on it if I can to get good adhesion and then put something flat on it and a small anvil on top of that to weight it down. Good luck with it hope this helps

David

Edited by David8386

With any of the contact cements you may consider the bond to permanent. If you might need to reposition anything, then they are NOT the ones to use.

Apply as per directions on the can. I use Weldwood because I can pick it up locally.

I sometimes use staples on the edges before sewing them. Other times I use double-sided leather tape made by Venture Tape, sold by Wawak.

I use Tandy's Contact Cement, but I make holsters. I apply cement to areas to be sewn around an hour before I sew, and this gives me a good solid base, and reassurance that the piece will hold together. I will warn you that the 'setup' time on the contact cement is only a minute or less. It goes on like rubber cement, but bonds once it touches leather.

Edited by RoosterShooter

A WARNING:

I was getting a rash on my face; lips, nose and eyelids. Doctor put me on two steroid packs hoping to get my body to chill out thinking it was poison ivy or something. Well, it wasn't. I was exposed to the Tandy cement a bit too much; even a small amount of inhalation is dangerous. I eliminated used an organic high end mask until it was gone, then never bough it again. Read the label closely, it is toxic, very toxic stuff. I strongly suggest using something more pedestrian. Some of the chemical are known human toxins.

Barges is what I am referring.

It contains known carcinogens, and known cancer precursors. You might want to read the entire label when you have a moment. There's a reason this adhesive is banned in many municipalities.

If you're going to use it, use a good respirator or don't use it at all.

Hey Wiz how well does the leather tape work. Does it leave any residue on the needle.