This is one I am workin on, this was my frist attempt at tooling and could really use some critique and pointers.

I have a little more sewing to do and I will post finished photos tomorrow.

lucky.jpg

lucky.jpg

post-5617-1244388598_thumb.jpg

I really like the distressed look in leather, and you have achieved that very nicely! And that's a pretty good job you did on the lettering for your first attempt.

In my own work, I like to see more depth in the beveled edges and the background. I also like nice, crisp edges around the carved objects. The photo looks like you did mostly modeling around the outside edges of your skull. If that is the case, you might consider beveling your edges instead. I also put a little more emphasis on backgrounding nearest the edges to enhance the relief effect from the beveling.

Look forward to seeing the finished wallet!

Kate

thank you Kate!!, how would I achieve the sharper edges etc?? using what tool? I'm pretty clueless, I got a whole bunch of tools off eBay and have no idea how to use most of them correctly, I do know the names, just not totally sure the correct way to utilize them

Do you have any stamps that look like these?

bevelers1.jpg

These are called bevelers. After cutting the pattern lines with your swivel knife, you use a beveler to tuck down the leather on the outside of the carved object to make it stand out from the background. It looks like you did a little of that on the letters, but I can't really tell from the photo.

Kate

bevelers1.jpg

post-7-1244400946_thumb.jpg

Do you have any stamps that look like these?

bevelers1.jpg

These are called bevelers. After cutting the pattern lines with your swivel knife, you use a beveler to tuck down the leather on the outside of the carved object to make it stand out from the background. It looks like you did a little of that on the letters, but I can't really tell from the photo.

Kate

I have one that looks like the one on the left except it is perfectly smooth on the face. Thanks again!!!!

Good looking first attempt. The design is good, but when you fold it, you're going to eventually going to "erase" the part of your design that's right on the fold. The way I do mine is to have one graphic on one half and one on the other half. Don't forget to leave room for your stitching groove too. Any basic leatherworking book can tell you how to use the tools you have. Keep at it.

Edited by ETW Grumpy

You seem to have quite a number of little marks and scratches on the surface of the leather. This maybe due to one of the following: Long or sharp fingernails, rings, a watch with sharp edged or angular case, a bracelet or maybe you need to be a little more careful where you put your tools down and how you deal with cased leather - you are casing the leather aren't you? You will get much more depth in your carving is you make the leather wet before you start work - this is called casing. Apologies if i've just told you a load of stuff you know already.

Ray

Edited by UKRay

You seem to have quite a number of little marks and scratches on the surface of the leather. This maybe due to one of the following: Long or sharp fingernails, rings, a watch with sharp edged or angular case, a bracelet or maybe you need to be a little more careful where you put your tools down and how you deal with cased leather - you are casing the leather aren't you? You will get much more depth in your carving is you make the leather wet before you start work - this is called casing. Apologies if i've just told you a load of stuff you know already.

Ray

Hey ray,

Thanks for the response, I did case it althought I'm not sure if it was done correctly, I used a sponge to wet the front and back then made my cuts, taped it then did the tooling, I don't believe I wet it again after taping, should I have? And do I let the color return almost to normal like when cutting??

Also this was a crappy piece my cat had scratched up lol I didn't think it would turn out well so I used it

Thanks!! Eric

Also this was a crappy piece my cat had scratched up lol I didn't think it would turn out well so I used it

LOL! And here, I was thinking that was just your artistic style! I didn't say anything about it because I thought the marks were intentional.

Kate

well shes finished, I learned alot, made mistakes, but know how to avoid them next time.

_MG_3732.jpg

_MG_3733.jpg

_MG_3732.jpg

_MG_3733.jpg

post-5617-1244839948_thumb.jpg

post-5617-1244840077_thumb.jpg

looks like you stitched it from the inside to the out. The inside looks great! Put your stitch line/groove on the outside and it will really look nice.

Did you use a stitch groover on the inside?

pete

looks like you stitched it from the inside to the out. The inside looks great! Put your stitch line/groove on the outside and it will really look nice.

Did you use a stitch groover on the inside?

pete

one of the things I learned the hard way lol

I used a groover on the inside but not the out.

That looks pretty sweet! Be careful with the groover, even if you have a line on both sides you have to be sure your awl punches through straight otherwise you'll still miss your line on the reverse side. Then you'll still have crooked stitching and next to a nice and straight line.

-Andy

That looks pretty sweet! Be careful with the groover, even if you have a line on both sides you have to be sure your awl punches through straight otherwise you'll still miss your line on the reverse side. Then you'll still have crooked stitching and next to a nice and straight line.

-Andy

2 of the sides I did without my stitching pony because it wouldnt fit inside but I "modified" the pony to fit larger items and the whole time I saw sewing I was thinking, Andy sewed that satchel twice!! lol Did you use a pony to do that one???

Edited by ericluther

2 of the sides I did without my stitching pony because it wouldnt fit inside but I "modified" the pony to fit larger items and the whole time I saw sewing I was thinking, Andy sewed that satchel twice!! lol Did you use a pony to do that one???

Pony? Nah, I don't have one. My tools are my lap, a cold beer, a comfy couch, and a little TV. :thumbsup:

I do have these nice little clips that an auto upholstery friend of mine gave me. They hold the pieces really tight and don't mark the leather. If I get a chance I'll shoot a picture of them for you guys.

-Andy

Pony? Nah, I don't have one. My tools are my lap, a cold beer, a comfy couch, and a little TV. :thumbsup:

I do have these nice little clips that an auto upholstery friend of mine gave me. They hold the pieces really tight and don't mark the leather. If I get a chance I'll shoot a picture of them for you guys.

-Andy

that would be great! yeah clips it seems would work even better.

I have to say that I like the wallet. Great first attempt. A bit harder hitting the tool, maybe a textured beveler and you can pound the stitching down to flatten it out and you should be proud to show this off. Maybe make the stitching a bit tighter next time but you're doing good.

I have to say that I like the wallet. Great first attempt. A bit harder hitting the tool, maybe a textured beveler and you can pound the stitching down to flatten it out and you should be proud to show this off. Maybe make the stitching a bit tighter next time but you're doing good.

thank you spider!! I'm working on a new one and thanks to you guys it looks worlds better!

Sweet. I'll look forward to seeing it.