Cletus2014

Terminology And Tannage Types

These questions are probably obvious to many, but after some searching around here I'm still confused about a few things. I know (or I'm pretty sure anyway) that some of the different leathers - and I'm mostly thinking cow and horse - are defined by the part of the hide, shoulder, belly, bend, etc. that they're cut from, but can also be defined by the type of tanning process used, which confuses us tyros even more.

Anyway, I think I'm looking for some plain old "vegetable tanned" leather, as opposed to chrome, brain, oil, or otherwise chemical tanned. Problem is, suppliers don't seem to specify leather as simply being veg tanned. My guess is that Tooling Sides, or Tooling Leather is what I'm looking for, but I can't be sure. Can someone please define "Tooling Leather"? I don't plan on doing any actual tooling or surface designs, just little projects like cases, sheaths, wallets, maybe some molded/shaped items and stuff like that.

Isn't 'tooling leather' pretty much the same as all-purpose veg tanned leather? I know there's really no "all-purpose" leather, but hopefully you get what I mean.

What about Latigo? From reading I understand this is normally belly leather, but isn't this also vegetable tanned, suitable for these kinds of projects too? I realize Latigos can be heavy/thick leathers, but can't this be skiver or thinned down for straps and things? - Also planning to use Latigo for my tool strops, any comments there? Thinking Latigos tend NOT to be too stretchy?

Last, what about oil tanned leathers? Is this similar to chrome tanned leather? Typically stretchy, like Chromexcel?

Thanks, as always for your advice!

Cletus, tooling leather/veg tanned are pretty much one in the same. This link will give you so explanation for various letahers. http://www.waterhouseleather.com/leather_buying_guide.htm

Edited by camano ridge

Not that I am advertising for them but Waterhouse is offering 5% discount on orders from Leatherworker.net members.

uhhhhh...no they're not. i just placed an order with them with the code and received no such discount.

when i asked about it in the thread that was on here that said there was a discount, i was dismissed and rebuked for asking about it in such an old thread and then the thread was locked.

so no...they do not offer a discount for people on here.

Edited by LTC

LTC, got caught had not noticed the date of the post just seen it pop up the other day. Edited my post.

In my opinion any company that charges 15 dollars for small samples I wouldn't want to deal with.

Another company sends 15 samples of different colours express to my hours 2 days after I request a sample and all are professionally cut w/ packaging. Only issue is they don't deal in small quantities.

if you place an order for leather with waterhouse, they will send you the samples at no additional charge...

Edited by LTC

well.. thats alright. But how come they can give away samples with a purchase free but if I am showing interest on a future purchase I have to pay... maybe even 15-30 dollars for 2 separate sample shipments. Kinda a cheap shot. I have to purchase something and hope its good quality and then I get a sample.

well...i ordered a double shoulder from them and after seeing it and the samples, i will most definitely be buying from them again. great stuff...just wish they still honored that discount they used to offer.

oh well...it is very nice leather.

fair enough. some people don't mind buying a piece and finding out if its good or bad. I prefer to know what I'm getting before I buy especially for leather.

Cletus, tooling leather/veg tanned are pretty much one in the same. This link will give you so explanation for various letahers. http://www.waterhouseleather.com/leather_buying_guide.htm

Thanks for the tip on Waterhouse camino. I've looked at quite a few different suppliers and Waterhouse looks to have a pretty wide selection - as long as your buying larger lots, or sides. More than that though, their Leather Guide and descriptions has a lot of good info on leather types and characteristics, which was a big help for me. Most leather suppliers that carry different leathers don't go into enough detail about their individual products, IMO.

It's a lot to learn when you're starting out as there's so many different leather types and tannates (hence this post in the first place) and it seems like the info on Waterhouse's site has some pretty good basic descriptions (and typical uses) for the various leather types. Great info!

Hermann Oak has russet, old world harness, drum dried harness, drum dried skirting, regular vegtan, holster leather. What are the differences? What step makes harness leather longer and does it affect its ability to be split down?