1. 1. Have you ever quit smoking?

• Yes, for less than a year
    • Yes, for more than a year
    • Yes, many times
    • No, but I want to
    • No, I never will quit
    • No, never smoked
    • No, but I turn my oxygen tank off first
  2. 2. If you quit successfully, what helped?

• anti-depressant meds
    • nicotine patches/gum
    • candy/gum
    • keeping hands busy
    • change old habits
    • doing the math for the expense
    • health conditions
    • admitting it's inconvenient and stinky
    • guilt from family & friends
    • locked self in local jail (or comparable) for a week
    • other (please explain)
  3. 3. How long were you a smoker?

• less than 1 year
    • 1-5 years
    • 5-10 years
    • 10-20 years
    • 30 years or more

:whatdoyouthink:

I am trying really hard, and my family has been very supportive, but I am going out of my mind! I'm restless and cranky, have a little bit of a headache and I've been quit less than a week. (I did bum a couple from my stepson, but I made him promise not to give me any more.) Wade (my husband) has sensibly decided that I am best approached with a ten foot pole, and that going fishing with the boys is more fun than hanging out with me right now. (He quit 15 years ago.) I have quit a bunch of times, never for very long. What worked for you? What didn't help at all? How soon will I feel "normal" again? I've been smoking cigarettes for 30 years, and I'm quitting for all the reasons listed above. This time I really want it to stick.

:bike: but this ain't easy.

Johanna

I've never beeen successful in 49 years...that's right, I started when I was 10.

My father just passed his 80th birthday...he quit around 60yrs old.

Here's how he did it...gospel truth..

There was this mysterious russian guy, supposedly some kind of mystic hypnotist guy, in Boston. Long beard, frumpy clothes, the works. My father, and his fairly new bride went to see him. When they went in, he didn't say a word. He reached out his palm, and they put $150 in it. They sat down, he looked at them, and said "You're done".

They both walked out of there pissed. They never smoked again.

I smoked for well over 30 years and quit at 4 packs per day. It was hard to psyc myself up to quit and only ever tried twice. 1st time for 90 days and saw a friend light cigarette at work and asked for one, tried it.......then immediately left to buy a pack. Took me 2 more years to psyc/convince myself to quit. That's about 12 years ago now. The crutches help a little but ONLY if you personally REALLY want to quit. No one can make or convince you to quit if you are a heavy smoker unless YOU want to.

my 2 c's

Regis

Johanna,

I isn't easy, when I quit, I had a strange craving for milk....go figure....but I drank a bunch of it. But, take heart, the addiction is broken in 10 days. After that, it is all in your head. What helped me was to do something when the craving hit. Something that required me to move around worked best....going for a walk or a run. TV was out of the question. If is sat down to veg. I wanted a smoke.

Good luck with it. You will feel better when the cigs are gone! It is an accomplishment that you can be proud of. For an extra incentive, think of the extra $ you will have. When I quit my room mate and I would drive to Wright Patterson Air Force Base to go to the px. We bought them for $1.90 a carton. It was a cheap habit back then.

Dave

I have tried about 10 times now. I have tried everything from patches to gum to prescriptions meds. Nothing seems to work. I am going to try and quit cold turkey this Friday. I sympathize with you Johanna. It is tough. I started when I was twelve and am 40 now. With the price of smokes up to almost six dollars a pack here, it is time. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Johanna,

Fortunately I could vote "never" for the first question. Glad I never was tempted when I see the struggle so many people have to quit. (By the way, it wouldn't take my vote because I couldn't vote on the next two.) But congratulations on your decision and all the best to you in sticking with it. Maybe the best incentive is knowing that you have 2,278 people supporting you - and who will check up on you from time to time. :) Hang in there. You will be glad you did. Just not today, maybe...

Johanna, I smoked heavily (2 pks/day or more) for about 30 years. Wellbutrin helped immensely in that it took away that really satisfied feeling you get after a smoke (bummer). It sits in your brain in the exact place nicotiene sits. After smoking for a few weeks and not getting any satisfaction out of it, I thought "this is just STUPID that I continue to smoke without the satisfaction" and I decided to quit. It still was not really easy, and for the first few days I haunted places that did not allow smoking, such as the library, malls, etc. When I was at home, I kept my hands busy at all times, and had an endless supply of sugarless chewing gum where my ashtrays always sat. I crocheted a huge kingsized afghan in less than a week! By that time, the worst of the cravings had passed, and after that, it was simply (or not so simply) a matter of figuring out WHAT IN THE HELL TO DO WITH MY HANDS!? I was so used to always holding a cig that I felt naked. I also felt dizzy quite often, and I attributed it to my brain finally getting some real oxygen in stead of a foggy batch of chemicals. My sense of smell came back, and became so acute that now my friends call me "the blood hound". I tease them and say that if they even think about farting, I'll smell it. :)

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough to "leave you be" for about a week, and take care of themselves, and make themselves scarce when you're home, it will help a lot. My husband lived in the garage for the first 2 weeks because I could only take care of myself while recovering from my addiction (and that's exactly how it is) from the cigs.

I also found exercise helpful when I had those really bad cravings. I'd go out for a run whenever I was about to tear my hair out. Funny thing was I was so out of shape after puffing away for so many years, I'd make it about 100 yards before I had to slow to a walk. As soon as I caught my breath, I'd take off running again. Did that for about a month.

Also, brush your teeth when you have a craving, especially if you smoke menthols. If you do, chances are you're addicted to the menthol, also. The minty toothpaste and a clean mouth is very refreshing.

But most of all KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE. It feels so good now after over 8 years of not smoking, and I will NEVER go back there. I still get cravings a couple times a year, but you learn to ignore them and switch your thinking to something else. I does get easier over time, and you will be suprised at how quickly you learn to deal without the cigs.

Good luck, and I'll be cheering for you!

......... I am going to try and quit cold turkey this Friday. I sympathize with you Johanna. It is tough. ........

One thing I learned while quitting was that the "tough" craving only lasted a short time if I did anything to distract myself for a minute(gum, work, drive, etc). Once distracted, it took 15-60 minuted before it jumped in my face again then one more minuted of concentrated distraction and good for another 15-60 minutes.

It did make me mad at myself to think it was only lack of will-power......think about that for some of the distractions.

Both of you will be im my prayers.

Regis

Edited by Regis

Hi Johanna,

I quit when I was 32, when my daughter was born. I didn't want to smoke around her and my wife didn't smoke, but didn't mind that I did. I smoked for 18 years. I stopped one day and put a pack of butts in the back of the closet under something, and said I'll have one tomorrow, once I made it to tomorrow, I though that wasn't too hard and said I won't have one today, I'll have one tomorrow, I could make it one day at a time and kind of forgot about doing it after a few years. It gets easier as you go, but bars will test your strength and I didn't give those up for a few more years.

Art

:whatdoyouthink:

I am trying really hard, and my family has been very supportive, but I am going out of my mind! I'm restless and cranky, have a little bit of a headache and I've been quit less than a week. (I did bum a couple from my stepson, but I made him promise not to give me any more.) Wade (my husband) has sensibly decided that I am best approached with a ten foot pole, and that going fishing with the boys is more fun than hanging out with me right now. (He quit 15 years ago.) I have quit a bunch of times, never for very long. What worked for you? What didn't help at all? How soon will I feel "normal" again? I've been smoking cigarettes for 30 years, and I'm quitting for all the reasons listed above. This time I really want it to stick.

:bike: but this ain't easy.

Johanna

I think i've already told you my story, i think.

Anyway i finally got it in my head, i'm in control here and i'm quitiing. It was my new years resolution, when 08 hit i hit a year. The only time i really think i might want a smoke is when i have a drink. Then i just smell one and think NOT !! Funny i use to love the smell , just after a few weeks of not smoking i can't stand it. I can be around people that smoke , just not in my face. I tried to quit many, many times before. What made this time diff ??? not sure i think it was the fact that i had it in my head "I'm done with it". I was one of those that set a date and smoked like a freakin mad man the nite before the deadline. Woke up the next day and had a burning throat from all the smoking i did the night before. I loved chocolate before but now, well now i'm about 30 pounds heavier. I'll lose the wieght now that my chocolate addiction is wearing off and my teeth hurt. LOL !!

Good for you for tring stopping !!! If i can do it anyone can. I smoked for 20 years. Smoking is one of the hardest things to kick. So don't give up if you give in. It may take a few trys. The main thing is if you do have a smoke think about the carp that's going in your lungs while you're having it. Then try to stop smoking again. Don't give up !!!

Edited by freak

Good timing on this topic - it's been on my mind now for a few months. I quit last year for about three months, took Chantix, but for only one month. I think the meds worked well - got me over the hump. ( I had quit too many times to count, but only made it about 4 days at a time - so grumpy that I thought I was going to kill someone!) With the Chantix, after the first 2 weeks just didn't want any. Not at all. Had a few side effects, a bit of sleeplesness, definitely very vivid dreams (but not nightmares). Energy level went up 400 percent. Didn't want to sit still. But - I didn't have any good habits in place to help with stress. So on came about 16 pounds from the icecream and goodies - which I don't normally crave or eat much of. Just about 3 months and I bummed a smoke off of my sister - that was it. Back at it again. I did ban myself from smoking in the house. So nice not to have a house that stinks. So that really helped me to cut back. But I want to quit. I hate the smell. I hate that little naggy tickle cough. I liked that brief period last year - trotting up steps and not panting. Clothes that smell good. Hair that smelled good. Whiter teeth...

Maybe a LW stop smoking support group? The mister is on me all the time to quit - but he's not much of a support post. Says that all I have to do is stop and that should be it...if it only was. Maybe it really is. I don't know. Thanks for bringing this up. Might be the boost I need to go the distance and finally dump this nasty, nasty habit.

Crystal

I gave up out of spite, my boss gave me a real hard time for about four years and admitted to her friend she was trying to break me outta my job, we both smoked like troupers. To show i wasn't going to be bullied, or affected by bullying I gave up smoking! Knowing she couldn't and had tried for years, so overnight no smoking. Passive resistance I called it, i really enjoyed being nice to her for the next four months....... now I think back maybe I have a cruel streak! She broke before me, then I transfered somewhere nicer. Hiowever every christmas i allow myself a ciggy, bad time for me .... so did i succeed hmmmmm!

Being out here in Lalaland, where the liberals all know so much more about how you should live,

you just about can't smoke anywhere. There are even cities that have banned smoking in your backyard.

My wife is an ex-smoker so she doesn't give me too hard a time about it. I've been at it 45 years.

I don't smoke in the house, the motorhome, her car, at work in my office (illegal and a citeable offense here).

The longest I quit was 5 months, used Welbutrin. Had a big life change and the smell got to me one day and that's all it took.

I tried Nicorette, the patch, adversion therapy and even accupuncture. Welbutrin was the only thing that worked.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Believe it or not the dependence on nicotine only stays for approx 48 hours (of pure hell) then its the habit, the hardest bit is making sure you continue to take breaks from work, i used lollipops for this you look like a fool and it rots your teeth but it works don't suck, breath around them.

Say I don't smoke in stead of i gave up when someone offers you a fag, they'll get the hint and it reinforces your willpower.

Distraction works, the key is find a distraction which you focus on to beat the craving, two minute is usually ample, get a puzzle or something that you really want to do and enjoy doing it. next craving have another go etc etc etc. i felt fine after 3 weeks, then felt bad after 3 months and gave up for three years before seccumbing again ....

My thought go with you, and support it is hell, but worth it to get your taste and smell back.

One of the hardest things I've ever done! Had smoked since I was 14 (yeah, it makes you cool, especially smoking unfiltered camels- yeah, right!- suddenly you realize [even though you don't want to admit it] that you're an addict). I smoked for over 40+ years & finally broke it. My last cigarette was in March '93, but the drug dreams went for several years after. I would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking "Oh, no, I blew it I blew it dammit"- & then realize that it was just a dream & I was wide awake & soaked in perspiration by then & besides, I didn't want to go back to sleep again because the dream might repeat... That was the worst- especially the 5 or so years after, when, even in your dreams, you knew you had put in those 5 years of hard time staying clean, & the damn dream would come on again.

I tried everything including the gum (I would end up chewing the gum AND smoking to get a bigger buzz...) What worked for me ultimately was the patch, plus I didn't want to be hooked up in that anymore, spending the $3/day for 2 packs a day, every day (yeah, I know, that was a LONG time ago).

The patch got me over the rough parts- you're essentially mainlining nicotine 24 hours a day, but you don't get the 'kick' that you do when you inhale deeply & draw that into your lungs, but you're still getting your drug into you. As I said, the patch got me over the rough parts, but the motivation to quit was what got me over it. I was ready. If you're NOT ready, you won't quit. Pure & simple.

During my prison career, many heroin addicts have told me it's easier to give up heroin than it is to give up smoking. I don't know.

I used to smoke two packs aday. I liked smoking, but my health was suffering.

I decided to quit, I simply changed the way I talked about it. I tried several times at first before I quit. I used to say, "gosh I dying for a smoke", oh if I could only have one" words like that.... So I changed the way I talked about it, to something like this. "I'm tired of smoking, I don't like smoking, Smoking makes me sick" Words like this are what changed my mind about smoking, it toke effort and consistancey. Even though I smoked though out the process, it took weeks to finially quite. I just changed my mind about smoking...

I hope this helps you, it worked for me.

Johanna,

I come from a long line of Scandanavian snoose chewers. I never smoked much, but started chewing Copenhagen regularly when I was about 12. I got to where it was just part of me. It was just something you do dawn to dusk and beyond. Nothing wakes you up like rubbing a little Copenhagen spit in your eyes at 3:00 am to get your forehead off the steering wheel. I never took those monster dips, and most people never knew I chewed, they never saw me spit (which was true, I didn't much). A lot of people never knew until I quit and it wasn't there.

I took a physical for an insurance renewal, answered that I didn't smoke because that was the question. The blood test came back with nicotine off the scale. I got the option of paying smoker's rates (not covered by the employer) or quitting. If I took option B, they could test me anytime, and if positive threats of smoker's rates retroactive. It was going to mean that the $4.25 can of Cope could now cost me about 4 grand a year for insurance back then. Money was the winner. I quit cold, and guys say it is harder than quitting smoking or anything they used legal or not, and there isn't methadone for Cope. It took about a week of real misery. I could feel my heart (probably not a good thing?), cranky, nervous, checking between the ol' cheek and gum, sleeping at 2:00 pm and not sleeping at 2:00 am. I even packed an empty can so I wouldn't get that feeling like when you lose your wallet.

I am still around guys that chew, and when I smell it, I crave it. Sixteen years later, I still like that smell. It is easier to say no now, but if I took a dip, I could be back in the buggy. Don't weaken now.

Quitting was what led me back to leatherworking. I made my mind up that I was going to quit on my 46th birthday, since my Dad was 46 when he died from lung cancer. I started plotting and planning about a year before, and was trying to figure out what to do with my hands, when my Mom brought over a box of stuff from my old bedroom. Inside was the tools I used when I was 14-16, the famous basic seven. The lightbulb went off above the head, and after googling Tandy, the new addiction was born. It's still not easy sometimes, but I just tell myself that's something I used to do. I made a concious effort to put away the money I used to spend on the 2 packs a day I smoked, and it has gotten me a new lawn mower, dishwasher, and this weekend I pick up my new bass boat!! I have to say the benefits of quitting far outweigh any cravings I still have. My wife is still a little sore at me, I didn't tell her until the last minute, and she felt she had to quit with me. She's much happier not smoking but every now and then I get a growl...lol It is very doable, Joanna, just adopt the mantra "that's something I USED to do" take deep breaths(very deep sometimes) and keep truckin'! It's been almost 3 years for the bride and I, and it's still getting better.

Hi Johanna,

Keep at it lady!!!!! It's not easy but you can kick the habit. I smoked 2 to 3 packs a day for 32 years. I finally got tired of burnt holes in my shirts and the expense. I quit cold turkey about 10 years ago. I got rid of all the ash trays and lighters and washed all my clothes to get rid of the smell. The first 3 weeks are the worst and it takes that long to get the nicotine out of your system. After 3 weeks things will get better. I sucked on hard candy for the first month and then tapered off those as I was gaining weight!! After the first month or month and a half it really gets much easier. Even after 10 years of not smoking there are times when I'm really stressed out and I'll catch myself patting my shirt pocket, looking for that pack of cigs. But them I think to myself how much better my health is without them and just grin and bear it. There are new meds that a doctor can prescribe to make the transition much easier, it you need it get it!!!!! This is something you can do, just take it one day at a time!!!!!!!!

John

I quit drinking in 1993. I lost 100 pounds and kept it off after my son Jack was born 8 years ago. I even stopped swearing (well, mostly!) after the kids were born. This is harder. Much harder. I drank a lot of water today.

~J

Johanna,

Like Bruce I never really smoked much but I was dipping 5 cans of snuff a week and I suddenly realzed one day that I was spending lots of money to make my self sick (Aprox $1300 per year!!). So I thought about it a while and slowly lowered my self to a couple of cans a week down to a can a week then I stopped. I am right with you though because it took a while and I am on my third week of "copenfreedom" Lol You can do it!! The thing that helped me was to just not think about it. do something else.

ClayM.

I quit before our daughter was born, for the babys health, that is for the final time. I also went on a diet at the same time. I figured, if I was going to be miserable I might as well do it right. The physical craving gos away way before the mental desire fades. Don't give up, just keep trying and you will make it.

SkipJ

The first time I quit was after double pneumonia- hack, cough, I'm done. Two weeks of rest ( yeah, it was a bad case of pneumonia, and left scar tissue) and I had trouble breathing in my friends' aparments. I was smoke free for about 6 months. Then, one day I went fly fishing with my buddy, and had a perfect fishing day. Those angers among you understand. On the walk back to the cars, I bummed one and fell right off the wagon. The second time I quit was the result of traumatic injury, time in the hospital -try waking up three weeks from the last time you remember and not being able to use your hands, and the complete inability to pick one up or light it if you did. I was physically past the addiction, but my brain never conciously went through withdrawal, and I ended up smoking again (hey, in my defense, I was ORDERED to restart so I would be tolerable). Now, I've got a job that has me driving A LOT, and that is where I smoke most of mine. I'm wanting to quit, but I think the real deal maker now is the choice: fuel or cigarettes. Interestingly enough, I don't smoke at all when I'm tooling or carving.

Johanna, here' s your excuse to pick up the tools again. Everytime you want to smoke, go carve leather.

I like the idea of a LW support group, and will join up to support anyone quitting.

Well I feel everyones pain. I started dipping skoal when I was 12 and and contiued with about a can a day until I turned 32. I quit dipping because my gums were gone. So I started chewing redman about two pouches a day. I also started smoking about a pack a day. Since the nazis here decided we couldn't smoke in the firehouse bay anymore or the bars or in any other place like the legion or VFW go figure. I've cut back to about a pack a week. We can still smoke outside the firehouse but it's a hassle. I mostly like to smoke when i'm drinking or after a good fire. I'm just a nicotine junkie hell sometimes I smoke and chew at the same time pretty sad. I was going to to quit but I was told nobody likes a quitter (just kiddin)But with my kids on my butt about quiting I know I will pretty soon just to keep them off my back. I wish everyone the best of luck in breaking thier bad habits.

Mike

Johanna,

I'm 42 years old and have been smoking since I was 9. I tried quitting SEVERAL times but never could. I always had a bad attitude after a few days and would give in to temptation and start back again. Then, I was introduced to a woman said she had a sure fire way to help me quit. Hyonosis! After talking with her about it in detail, I had the hypnosis and VIOLA! NO MORE SMOKING! That was in February of 2007 and I haven't had a cigerette since. You can't (won't) quit until you have a genuine desire to quit. Once you have the desire, anything is possible. One thing that DOES help though is every time you think about having a smoke, PAUSE, tell yourself "I"m NOT A SMOKER", and then WAIT at least five minutes before lighting up. Pretty soon, you find out that if you WAIT 5 MINUTES before lighting up, the habit of lighting up is replaced with the habit of PAUSING! Eventually, the urges go away.

Now, all of the money that DID go to cigerettes (coffin nails), goes into my leathercrafting!

Good Luck! God Bless! And if you EVER need anyone to talk to about it or VENT ON, I'm here for you! That goes for anyone in the forum! YOU CAN QUIT!

Troy