adaman04

Place to buy small qty. of leather for holsters?

I've been wanting to get started on a few leather projects, namely holsters (modern, not western), mag pouches and flashlight holders and I need some leather.

From what I've read here, for pancake style holsters a lot of guys like 8/9 oz and for sheaths and mag pouches maybe 4/5 would be a better option.

I'm trying to find out what weights I'd like to use for each job and with the economy like it is, I'd rather not buy a whole single shoulder of 8/9 and 4/5 until I see if I'm going to stick with it.

Are there any places I can buy small quantities without paying triple the price per sq ft? I'm open to natural veg leather or some black drum dyed would be alright too, since I'm going to be making most everything in black.

Thanks!

Go to Zack White and order a premium 7/8 double shoulder and you'll be set for both. Don't use 4/5 for mag holders if you want them to last....

Ditto on Boomstick's comments on the lighter weight leathers. 7/8 oz. works well for most holsters, pouches, etc. and has the strength to withstand hard use for the long haul.

I recommend veg-tanned leather produced by Hermann Oak and by Wickett & Craig, both are excellent tanneries and their products are consistently high quality.

I know that purchasing small quantities can be difficult, and the price per square foot can get pretty high when you do find a source. I generally buy sides for 7/8 oz. and double shoulders for 9/10 oz., and I use about 3 sides and a double shoulder per month, so I usually have a reasonable quantity on hand.

If you would like to have a small piece or two, sized for the patterns you intend to cut, let me know. I will send those to you for my cost plus postage.

Good leather not only results in a superior product, but it is also much easier to use. If you are going to put the effort into making a product you will be better off with good material.

Best regards.

Thanks Boomstick and Lobo for the corrections on the leather weight.

Lobo, I might take you up on that offer in the future, I appreciate it.

Fact of the matter is, if I want to get halfway decent at leather work, I’m going to have to do a few test run projects anyway. I’ll just buy supplies here and there as I can (and as the wife allows!) and it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a single shoulder at least. I’ve found 12”x12” squares of 8/9 for $13 each, so I’d be money ahead getting a good shoulder pretty quick!

For Economy grade leather to practice on, check out Tandy. They frequently run sales and specials and I've picked up single shoulders in 6-7 for not much more than those 12x12 squares. If they don't have anything at the time you're looking, CALL them.You can also place a call into Springfield leather (see banner at top of page). They cut leather and may have some oddball pieces left over from another customer's cutting at the right price.Hope that helps, and good lucks.

You can easily start your project with a 7/8oz shoulder. I encourage you to go to Springfield Leather Co. (their banner is at the top of the page). They were running a special on Herman Oak that still may be available. And if it isn't I know they will get you squared away with the items you'll need. Matter of fact, I need to get another order in myself!