I was inspired by the great bible covers I saw on this site, and thought I would give it try. It is also my first try at lacing.

BibleCover1_zps67303702.jpg

Art work by: Pieter Lastman in 1621.

BibleCover2_zps2d8dc977.jpg

BibleCover3_zpsa03bf449.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Looks good Colt,

Nice job for your first time lacing. I see a few "layout" lines, you can eliminate them by using a tsqare ruler and lining your slit punch up to the measurement from the edge you've decided on, takes a little more time but it eliminates the layout lines. Your lacing is great, you might think about going through the hole just before the corner hole and the one just after twice, it looks like you went through the one after but not the one before it wil balance the look and help you transition around the corner a little better. I usually go twice through the one before and the one after and three times through the corner hole itself, many go 2/2/2 but I always liked the 2/3/2. Nothing wrong with the way you did it, I think it just makes it smoother around the corner, I also enlarge the three holes mentioned to accomodate the extra passes. With slits I do that with a lacing fid.

Great job!

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

I used the 2-2-2 deal but I didn't enlarge my holes enough.They certainly looked bigger when I did it, but once I started lacing it was obvious they weren't big enough.

Looks really great. Love the "Job" theme, being spit out of the whale.

Chief

I think it looks great Colt! You did a great job for your first one.

Bob

Chief

That would be "Jonah" rather than Job.

And yes, very interesting cover theme. Great idea. +1 on the Chief's lacing comments. He has some videos about lacing that would be good for you to watch.

Tom

And yes, very interesting cover theme. Great idea. +1 on the Chief's lacing comments. He has some videos about lacing that would be good for you to watch.

Tom

You are right sir, I think I was typing faster than I was thinking. I'm also on vacation with my Grandchildren and that seems to be distracting although I don't know why!!! Thanks,

Chief

Tom's right. It's Jonah that was swallowed by the whale. Job was the long suffering guy beset by all sorts of problems and disasters. Not unlike leatherworkers.

It's a good looking cover, Colt!

Bill

You are right sir, I think I was typing faster than I was thinking. I'm also on vacation with my Grandchildren and that seems to be distracting although I don't know why!!! Thanks,

Chief

Good place to be Chief ... Grandkids are a lot of fun. Have three of them overnight last night and tonight too. See what trouble we can get into!

Tom

Hit it with a coat of polish, made a felt bag for it, and sent it off today.

Biblecover1_zpsb3942224.jpg

BibleCover2_zps92fa5671.jpg

BibleCover3_zpsb443ea14.jpg

I think it looks great Colt! You did a great job for your first one.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Chief

Thanks. I always liked the Jonah story.

Tom's right. It's Jonah that was swallowed by the whale. Job was the long suffering guy beset by all sorts of problems and disasters. Not unlike leatherworkers.

It's a good looking cover, Colt!

Bill

Thanks Bill

Tom

I am not good at traditional floral carvings, and I am not a basket weave fan ever since I had to clean my show saddle with a tooth brush as a kid.

Second attempt at lacing

I am getting better I think, but I still have a few flubs. I wish I would have taken the time to stamp out the back ground now, but the leather dried on me and I though it would end up better to just leave it alone. Its hard to keep big projects from drying out in the summer sun in Tucson.

BookCover1_zps1490269c.jpg

BookCover3_zps7166b40b.jpg

BookCover4_zps0d050537.jpg

BookCover5_zpsdd59b0ea.jpg

BookCover6_zps6190c297.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Another great looking cover, the 2/3/2 looks good, did that work ok for you?

Chief

I took and punched 3 holes in the corner so I could easily pull the 2-3-2 lace pattern through. I think it looks a lot better. My splices also look a lot better on this one. Thanks for the tips.

Both sets of friends got their books/covers today. They both were very happy, and sent me great emails. Made all those hours lacing well worth it. Plus, lacing doesn't hard my fingers like stitching. I can see myself doing a lot more of this lacing stuff.

Second attempt at lacing

I am getting better I think, but I still have a few flubs. I wish I would have taken the time to stamp out the back ground now, but the leather dried on me and I though it would end up better to just leave it alone. Its hard to keep big projects from drying out in the summer sun in Tucson.

I let leather dry and rewet it fairly often. While it is not the first choice, it has never caused me an issue.

Aaron

I let leather dry and rewet it fairly often. While it is not the first choice, it has never caused me an issue.

Aaron

Here in Tucson, it is not uncommon for it to be over 100 with almost no humidity. I generally tool outside so I don't disturb the neighbor and folks inside, but tooling outside is super tough in the summer.

Both projects look great! I can really see the improvement between the first and second. I use lacing more than stitching on most projects. I think it adds something to a project that makes it stand out. Keep goin.

Tip

Those are 5 ounce veg tan lined with a cheap goat or lamb skin.the lining is fairly thin.

Both projects look great! I can really see the improvement between the first and second. I use lacing more than stitching on most projects. I think it adds something to a project that makes it stand out. Keep goin.

Tip

Thanks, I am a leather braiding, stitching and carving newbie. I am learning a lot just trying these projects. My guitar straps have come a long way since I joined this forum. Once I saw the craftsmanship on this forum, I realized I had to step up my game.