BDAZ

Slippery Straight Edge?

I have a 60" straight edge that's NOT from Harbor Freight. It's well made and painted yellow. I have just switched over to drum dyed veg tan for production and the grain and flesh sides are pretty smooth. When I make full length cuts I ennevitbly shift the straight edge. This happens on either flesh or grain side.

Any suggestions for making the ruler more non slip? It can't be too thick or it would interfere with the cutting. Some kind of self adhesive non slip sounds like the best route. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks!

Bob

These are indispensable in my opinion. I use double shoulders and the first thing I do is lay two 36" rulers down, sight a straight line with a lazer, clamp down and cut the uneven bottom off very carefully. Then the draw gauge/strap cutter does the rest.

http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog/c-clamps/1401-835954-2-1-4-handi-clamp.html

Was going to say clamps too...lol.

I have tried clamps in the past. The way my cutting table is set up, it not possible. I'd have to mod the table, plus I want to be able to cut at any angle to the table.

Thanks!

Bob

What about cork or those anti-skid strips that you put on stairs?

Cork is a bit thick though it's an option. I'll take a look at the anti skid stuff.. Might be too rough and mark the leather.

Thanks!

Bob

how thin do sheets of neoprene come? I bet that would stick without marking...

I am also in the wetsuit business and neoprene is available in .5 mil. That might just do the trick but I'll have to find a source that sells in lees than full sheet quantities. Great suggestion!

Cya!

Bob

I bought a 16" ruler with a backing that looks like it might be neoprene at an art supply store, and it works well. I have a 48" rule that slides around as does yours, and because of that I don't use it much. Let us know if you give that a go, and if it works well, maybe you can offer up strips for sale to offset your cost. It sounds as though a lot of people could benefit that way. Doing well by doing good!

I also came up with a creative, if expensive, solution to making beautiful long cuts. I bought a picture framing matte cutter. It does double duty around here since my other half does some custom framing, so the expense is justified for us. It also has the advantage of doing 45 degree cuts in addition to square cuts. That said, there are still times when the ol' 48" stand alone rule would be easier to use.

Bill

I use an eight foot strip of aluminum, 1" x 1/8" that I bought at Canadian Tire store. It is long enough to use on a full side and can be clamped and will reach across the table at any angle. It is perfectly straight, as it is extruded. Gump.

What was the extrusion sold for? I'm a lot closer to Mexican Tire than Canadian Tire.

Thanks!

Bob

BDAZ; It was only about $12 for the strip. You could probably find it at most large hardware chains. Gump

I have looked at Home Depot and Lowes. What is it used for?

Thanks!

Bob

Using clamps is the way to go. I use them on any long cuts I need to make with my 5 ft. aluminum rule. My spouse isn't real keen on me using the kitchen table but when I do it I use cutting mats at least! I also started using a rotary cutter on the long cuts and it helps.

Also laughing my ass off about the Mexican Tire versus Canadian Tire comment!! I was born in Canada but have lived in Texas for 35 + years so it has a bit more meaning to me..

Someone got it! :cowboy:

I am going to put some self adhesive cork shelf liner on a shorter rule and see how that works. Another option may be a layer of suede.. I'll get experimenting once I get a large order I'm currently working on out the door.

Cya!

Bob

THis it what I used on mine and it works quite well. THe cork strip is self adhesieve and 1/16" thick it comes in widths I think up to 2". http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OIUQE0/ref=twister_B008OIYMDG

Looks perfect but $30 for one straight edge is a bit steep??

THanks1

bob

I have looked at Home Depot and Lowes. What is it used for?

Thanks!

Bob

Located near the section for nuts and bolts. Have all thread, bar stock, extrusions, angle iron, round bar, etc. all in a couple racks.

And I got your Mex Tire too, made me chuckle!

Tom

No channel stock, just an L. I do use their aluminum stock for narrow straight edges. I bought some self adhesive 1/32 cork this afternoon to test.

Thanks!

Bob

I found some 1/32 self adhesive cork at Hobby Lobby for $4 and it was perfect! Thin enough and also a firm grip on the leather.

Thanks!

Bob

You can buy adhesive tread tape at the hardware store in various widths. It comes in rolls.

I would be afraid that the coarser anti slip materials would mar the leather.

Thanks

Bob

Use your straight edge as it is, scratch a line with an awl and then cut along the scratched line with a round knife. The proper way to do it!

I have some Stainless steel straightedges and have used both Gorilla tape, and good shelf liner to solve the problem. Put the shelf liner on there with double-sided carpet tape. Works on triangles also. But marking then cutting like Oldtimer said is the best way I've found, but you still need your straightedge to stay still to mark it..

Paul