TomKatOhio

Krebs Style Splitter

I have a Krebs style splitter that I used back in the 70's. There are no manufacturer marks or tags on it. It is in very good shape with some light rust on the frame members and some minor rust pitting on the knife and rollers. The knife is still very sharp, but I never had it honed. It has all parts including adjustment screws. I am considering selling this since I have not done any leather work for many years (although the more time I spend on this site, the more I miss the craft). I'm not sure what these are worth now and what I should expect to ask if I decide to part with it. I would appreciate any advice that would be offered.

Thank you.

post-28586-017939200 1328153474_thumb.jp

I have a Krebs style splitter that I used back in the 70's. There are no manufacturer marks or tags on it. It is in very good shape with some light rust on the frame members and some minor rust pitting on the knife and rollers. The knife is still very sharp, but I never had it honed. It has all parts including adjustment screws. I am considering selling this since I have not done any leather work for many years (although the more time I spend on this site, the more I miss the craft). I'm not sure what these are worth now and what I should expect to ask if I decide to part with it. I would appreciate any advice that would be offered.

Thank you.

I am interested in your splitter if you get a price established.

Thanks,

CW

How much for the splitter?

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you.

How much for the splitter?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm really not sure I want to sell it yet. I've just been curious to know more about them.

Thanks,

Tom

If there is no tags on it, there is a good chance it is a CS Osborne. I have had Krebs tagged ones with an oval tag on the frame next to the drum. The JD Randalls have a tag on the right side of the frame. The Osbornes are stamped on the blades, usually a number "85" and CS Osborne..I am trying to think if any had maker lettering as part of the casting. Not sure on that. I am also not for sure when Osborne stopped making them. They recently started making a version of them again.

Like many on the board, I too am interested if you decide to part with this.

Like many on the board, I too am interested if you decide to part with this.

Thank Bruce - There is an "85" stamped on the top of the blade on mine but no "CS Osborn". So could it still be an Osborn 85?

Thanks to the others for the interest on this, but I don't think I will sell it yet. If I do, I'll post something on this site since I would like it to go to a leather carftsperson.

Tom

If there is a number 85, then it is a CS OSborne blade for sure and little doubt the whole thing is an Osborne. The blades are not very interchangeable between the different makers of these. On the Krebs labeled ones they are not always interchangeable between themselves.

I bought a Krebs used from the Shop Talk Sale for $550, great machine, well worth every penny,used daily.