azrider

Cell Phone Measurements

For those that make up cell phone cases to have a stock of them for shows, what phone dimensions do you use to make them? I have the Tandy pattern that I have reproduced, but am thinking of making up some molded cases as well. I know phone sizes are all over the map, but are there some typical ones I could use that would cover the more popular phones? I still carry a dumb phone, so am not able to use it for measurements.

Would anyone be willing to share the measurements on their phones? I know the iPhone, some of the blackberries, and the droids would be good places to start.

My phone is an Envy 2. 4 1/16 inches x 2 1/16 inches x 5/8 of an inch.

If it's somebody i know i just ask to measure their phone and make a plug / mold out of wood or leather to make the case with. The ones i have now are really out of date as far as the sizes.

You might go to walmart, Radio Shack, or a store like that and measure what they have. I doubt they would care.

Edited by dirtclod

I do things the same way. I am hoping to use the measurements to make up some plugs for current phones, so I can have some cases ready if I do a craft show. I have a couple of templates for older blackberries, but not any of the current crop of phones.

Yeah, I will probably have to go down to the Verizon store get the measurements.

Edited by azrider

I do things the same way. I am hoping to use the measurements to make up some plugs for current phones, so I can have some cases ready if I do a craft show. I have a couple of templates for older blackberries, but not any of the current crop of phones.

Yeah, I will probably have to go down to the Verizon store get the measurements.

Well, here's one down for you...I have the T-mobile G1 smartphone. Measurements are: 4 5/8" long, 2 3/16" wide. The thickness is a bit weird due to the bottom of the phone having a slight dogleg curve to it. But, measuring from the tabletop, the top of the phone is 11/16 thick and the last 1/2" or so at the bottom kicks up so that the thickness from the table becomes 13/16".

htc_t-mobile_g1_11.jpg

Companies that make the phones often provide all the specifications of their phones on their web sites, including the exact physical dimensions. Consumer reviews of the products also often include the dimensions, as well.

Kate

In my opinion, one should create a general size that'd fit "most" phones. Trying to create exact sizes for every model would be too time consuming. Not to mention you might be looking at most a 90 day time span that phones are "in vogue". Redoing teplates every 90 days would be a chore.;)

God Bless, Ray

The cell phone pattern I posted elsewhere is for a Samsung Moment, btw.

Thanks all. Determining what sized cases I can make for generic sizes to take to a show is what I am working on here. I will post back with what I come up with. I am hoping to be able to do only three sizes to cover most of the phones.

Tip. Find a way to allow the buyer to recharge the phone while the case is closed.

Depending on the "popularity" of the phone, there could be a "dummy" available for a few dollars on eBay. Might be well worth it, especially if you are going to make more of them later. The cost for the dummy could of course be included in the price. :)

http://www.the-blueprints.com/

This has mostly older models, but many images are scanned directly from the manuals and some include dimension information.

apple_iphone-34031.jpg

You can check manufacturer websites for correct dimensions of specific models

You might want to look at http://phone-size.com/.

Good find. I was going to suggest "the internet"

Finally a topic I have some experience with and can share some knowledge... The tandy case is a sized decently for a general smartphone, however the sizes do vary greatly per manufacturer/model. I made a Tandy sized case for my father a few years ago and he loved it for his Droid but when he got a new Galaxy S II, he found that it wouldn't fit lengthwise. We traced the phone onto a pice of plywood and cut/sanded until it was the right size. I then took it home and scanned it into Adobe Illustrator to create a correctly sized pattern. I did the same thing with my wifes phone and will be doing the same for mine when I whip up a new case.

I picked up a small pack of craft plywood from the local Hobby Lobby. I think it was a 5 or 6 pack of pieces around 4x6" and around 1/8" thick. Get a pack of those and take them with you to somewhere that sells phones. Trace a few of the popular models and make a note of about how many pieces needed to be stacked to equal the height.

Keep in mind that most people add some kind of protective cover around their phones (I learned the hard way with my first Iphone). There are so many options out there for cases that it's almost impossible to account for all of them so leave some extra room if you're making extra stock for shows. Maybe offer a few lengths and let the customers try their phone out in it first.

Also keep in mind that the case will stretch a little over time as it "breaks in". Something you may want to mention to a potential customer... when they pick a size, make it a tighter fit. I consider a phone case to be a high wear item, meaning it sees a lot of abuse hanging off a belt all day. Seat belts, jackets, bumping into corners, and even just the in & out of the phone will all add stresses to the fibers stretch it out till it's like that super comfy pair of quality leather boots you always keep around after the cheap ones have faded away.

One last thing I'll mention from experience is the topic of closures. I prefer to stay away from snaps as I don't like the idea of intentionally pushing a piece of metal into my screen. Even when set behind a layer of lining, it still bothers me that I'm shoving a hard item into a screen even if the glass is 30x stronger than it used to be. I like to use velcro for most of mine, maybe a slide together purse type clasp if the design allows or the customer requests. I don't like using magnet closures either as it takes a fairly strong magnet to keep it from coming open when bumped. Alot of people have complained that magnets interfere with the cell reception. Dunno how true that really is though. When using velcro, the rough hook side should go on the flap. The pulling motion of opening the case helps to relase the little hooks that hold it to the fuzzy side. Installing it the other way leads to it pulling off the case prematurely. If you are relying only on the sticky backing to hold it to the leather (so it can be replaced as it wears) this will help it last just a little bit longer. I also add a few lines of superglue to the sticky backing to help it hold a little longer. Might not be the right way but it has worked well for me so far.

Hope at least some part of this helps you on your way. I'd love to see some of your case ideas some time.

Edited by olds cool

If you really need the sizes just look the manufacturer web site, or a review website?