Colt W Knight

Vintage Style Guitar Strap

A gentleman from France stopped by today, and asked me to make him a vintage style guitar strap. No big deal, EXCEPT, he is going back to France next week, and I am traveling for Thanksgiving. That gave me 1 1/2 days to get it done. After he walked out the door, I got busy, and 4 hours later, I had this strap.

The main strap is 13 ounce latigo, dyed black

The shoulder pad is Two 6 ounce vegtan pieces with a genuine shearling lining.

FrenchStrap1_zpsa9f0474c.jpg

FrenchStrap2_zpsc099c6c4.jpg

DSC01699_zpsd599bf47.jpg

FrenchStrap3_zps0b75d542.jpg

FrenchStrap4_zps0584edaa.jpg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Nice, I like the design of this strap. I have a new template for one very similar from BlackRiverLaser.Com, I'll be making a video on it for them this week or early next week. It is a 2" wide strap with a 12" X 3" pad that can be lined with shearling or such. Where do you get your shearling? I don't use it often but once in a while I need a piece about this size and it's not economical to buy a whole hide. I've been looking for a source for smaller pieces.

Chief

Chief,

Check Springfield Leather. I think they have shearling remnants at a reasonable price.

Chief,

Check Springfield Leather. I think they have shearling remnants at a reasonable price.

Thanks, had done that, I buy all my leather from Kevin, however, $5.00 a sq ft (on average some smaller) seems a little high for remnants. I have a wool supplier where I buy bags of wool for bugging (large garbage bag size at a time) however, the pieces are great for buffing but not quite big enough for use. I'll probably go with SLC just hadn't hadn't had a real need till now, was just wondering if there was a better place to get it.

Thanks,

Chief

I like that guitar strap. Very nicely done.

Really nice work but I was under the impression that latigo couldn't be tooled and only veg tanned could be tooled.

Chief,

I've purchased sheepskin items from a shop on Etsy.com. You could send them a message and see what they could do for you. They are located in Connecticut.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/goldenfleecefashons

Good luck

I got a shearling hide from Tandy when it was on sale, still expensive though.

You cam stamp latigo, but you have to get it soaking wet. I wouldn't try carving it.

Thanks Colt, that's good to know

There is also S&D Trading Company in Lubbock, Texas. They advertize 1/2 to 3/4 pound for $8.99 on their web site.

http://www.sdtradingco.com/leather-remnants.htm

Looks good, Colt!

Thanks Bob.

Colt ------------------- Yeah,

I too like this designed strap, and for a speedy hurry up project you did well IMHO !

Thanx for sharing, again I say Keep on keeping on ! ----------------- Wild Bill46

Thanks Bill

Nice work!

Thanks guybell