rdb

New Artisan 3000

I should be picking up my 3000 either tomorrow, or wednesday. What threads needles, and/or accessories should I get, over and above the default that it comes with?

I want to be able to do heavier bags, concealed carry belts and the like, some bridle work, and hopefully the wallet/checkbook stuff. I work in groups, so once i re setup it will be for the week or so, not every other hour.

I've got an idea of what I want to get, but I thought youse guys with experience may know better what to get at first, and for that matter, what not to bother with right now.

I've seen the discussions the past few days about preferences of feet, and for what reasons. That stuff is filed away in my head. I sure do wish all the stuff from precrash was around...that really was a priceless bunch of information. After pouring your brains out back then, i'm sure it's like pulling teeth to have to repeat stuff you already worked so hard on writing.

Which presser feet would you get, which plates? How many needles, and what size? How much thread, and what sizes? How many bobbins? Stuff like that..

When I started out many eons ago, I had a sailmaker's twin needle, that really worked well for me. I didn't have to do more than adjust tension, and it sewed just about everything I put under it. I never had extra feet or plates, etc. This choice thing is hurting my brain...lol

Thanx in advance.

First talk to the folks at Artisen when you buy and tell them what you will be doing they are great about pointing out what you need. I have a wide range of thread sizes, 346, 277,207 & 138. I don't have the needle sizes but tell them what size of thread you will be using. I have 2 different sizes of needles that I use. the larger ones for the 346 & 277 and a smaller size for the 207 and 138. I have the right hand single foot and the double foot. The single foot I use for those cases that you have to sew up agains a fold like on a magazine case. I have white and black thread and that seems to work for most projects. Be sure to get about 6-8 extra bobbins. So you don't have to stop and rewind all the time. I keep different sizes thread on bobbins, always use the next size smaller thread on the bobbin. I always wanted the table top but I have gotten along without if for 3 years now so I don't see it as a need. I also dont' see a need for other plates as I get along without special plates under the foot. But they make several for different applications, talk to them and they will educate you. Great people to work with.

This machine will be the best 1950.00 you spend for your business.

Randy

I should be picking up my 3000 either tomorrow, or wednesday. What threads needles, and/or accessories should I get, over and above the default that it comes with?

I want to be able to do heavier bags, concealed carry belts and the like, some bridle work, and hopefully the wallet/checkbook stuff. I work in groups, so once i re setup it will be for the week or so, not every other hour.

I've got an idea of what I want to get, but I thought youse guys with experience may know better what to get at first, and for that matter, what not to bother with right now.

I've seen the discussions the past few days about preferences of feet, and for what reasons. That stuff is filed away in my head. I sure do wish all the stuff from precrash was around...that really was a priceless bunch of information. After pouring your brains out back then, i'm sure it's like pulling teeth to have to repeat stuff you already worked so hard on writing.

Which presser feet would you get, which plates? How many needles, and what size? How much thread, and what sizes? How many bobbins? Stuff like that..

When I started out many eons ago, I had a sailmaker's twin needle, that really worked well for me. I didn't have to do more than adjust tension, and it sewed just about everything I put under it. I never had extra feet or plates, etc. This choice thing is hurting my brain...lol

Thanx in advance.

I would say for the bags, definitely get a flat slotted needle plate, rt. side presser foot, and raised stirrup plate, in addition to the standard stuff, which I think is the blanket foot and plate.

ed

Good tips Randy and Ed...

Randy...you think like me...who needs all that stuff...lol

Ed, that sounds like a good basic list...What do you use the raised plate for?

Good tips Randy and Ed...

Randy...you think like me...who needs all that stuff...lol

Ed, that sounds like a good basic list...What do you use the raised plate for?

I all reality, I only need this plate for two two-inched curved sections on the middle gusset of my bags. In a future bag model it will be double. These are gusset corners where I'm stitching together three layers of 5/6/7/ oz leather, two gussets and one flat panel. Because there are two gussets that come together with a third layer of leather around a narrow turn, the use of a flat needle plate causes the leather to be pushed away from the needle bar, making clean stitches very difficult. The use of a lt. side ft. or any double toed foot adds to the difficulty. This is not such a problem on the outer gusset stitch lines.

One of the only ways I've gotten around this is to prepunch the holes around the corners in question with only one gusset layer and a flat panel layer,and then use an awl to punch through the added gusset layer later and hand stitch around the corner.

Ed