materbona

Hi To All!

Hi--I have a bunch of sewing machines I have been working on. I too bought a few old singers but they are definitely not "industrial". Anyway, I have a lot of furniture leather samples and have been intrigued about sewing leather. Someone on one of my groups recommended the Tippman Boss as far as being not too large but doing a good job--does anyone have any comments? I love to sew and have rescued quite a few old machines. I am totally new to leather. Thanks in advance for any tips.

You mentioned sewing leather furniture and asked about the Tippman Boss in the consecutive sentences. I hope you have a powerful arm if you intend to sew leather upholstery on a Boss. They are manually operated by a pull lever on the back. It would also have to be fairly thick upholstery leather.

What you are really looking for is a walking foot industrial sewing machine, that mounts on top of an industrial steel-leg table, which has a large, clutch or servo motor under the table top. A Consew 206RB-5 is such a machine, which can be adjusted/corrected to sew leather. Cobra also makes a similar machine, but specifically set-up for leather work. There are ad banners for Cobra brand machines, that usually appear on top of this forum.

When contacting dealers about machines, be sure you tell them what kind of leather you want to sew. There is a huge difference in the requirements and set-ups for machines that sew leather upholstery/garments and those sewing thick belts and straps.

Hi and welcome to the boards! I too am a noob and here is what I have found. Wiz is right, it really depends on what you are going to sew as to what machine you need. The Boss is a good machine in the right application, like a mobile Saddle maker. I have a Consew 118 Walking foot that does 2 layers of 3-4oz leather really nice, but will also do 2 layers of 8oz belt leather which is probably a bit much for the machine but it does it. I have a Singer 94-10 that was designed for curtains and it too does a great job on leather but I have modified my table with a reduces so it has more torque. Sailrite sells a nice portable walking foot machine for around 800 but I would not put it into any heavy production enviroment, for home it would be great. Look around, especially craigslist as I have found many good deals. I made my first pair of leather boots on a home machine, it is a Singer 15-91 I had to modify it of course but any thing is possible. Good luck!

Hi--I have a bunch of sewing machines I have been working on. I too bought a few old singers but they are definitely not "industrial". Anyway, I have a lot of furniture leather samples and have been intrigued about sewing leather. Someone on one of my groups recommended the Tippman Boss as far as being not too large but doing a good job--does anyone have any comments? I love to sew and have rescued quite a few old machines. I am totally new to leather. Thanks in advance for any tips.