Sign in to follow this  
Chris of WV

Newbie From West Virginia

Hi all, my name is Chris, and I currently reside in Kanawha County, West Virginia. I'm relatively new to leatherworking (especially carving, tooling, etc.) and I thought that this might be a great place to help me learn new things and expand my skillset! Up 'til now, I've only worked with garment leather and suede (cowhide, goatskin, buckskin, sheepskin...), but just the other day I placed my first order with Tandy for a 8-9 oz. Veg-Tan Double Shoulder, a basic tool set (swivel knife, camouflagers, bevelers, etc.), an edge beveler, a strap cutter (if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm going to try my hand at making some belts), a 3-4 oz. Veg-Tan Side and a stingray hide... So, I"m definitely ready to get started into learning the art of tooling leather...

I hope that you guys will bear with me, as I'm sure to have a lot of crazy questions. My Future Father-In-Law (ie. My girlfriend's dad) works with leather, and he's the one who got me started in it (although I started with the garment leather since it was cheaper and easier for me to work with). The problem is, that although he is knowledgeable, he lacks the skill of explanation. He stutters around and eventually ends up just showing me how it's done (and then usually ends up finishing it :rolleyes: ). So, I may ask what seem to be random questions, but it's most likely because I asked him and he showed me how and I've forgotten...

So, anyhoo, I'll quit my rambling and finish up this post by linking to my Flickr set which has pictures of all the stuff I've made thus far... Howdy all! :)

My Leatherwork Flickr Photo Set

-Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris. It's nice to see another WV hillbilly on here.

Everyone here is extremely helpful and will help you any way they can.

There is a very deep well of information here, so just keep digging and asking.

Tom

Welcome to the forum! Nice work. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks wvcraftsman and King's X! I appreciate the welcome, and I look forward to learning as I go and absorbing as much knowledge from you guys as I can! I just got my leather and my tools in today, so I plan on starting on some belts soon... We'll see how it goes! :)