TroyWest

Saddlemaker Troy West

hope.jpgsaddle.jpg

Howdy folks,

My friend Jon Watsabaugh told me about this site and I have enjoyed reading it. I would have put a picture on here a while back but I'm terribly computer illiterate. I read how to post a picture on here, but it might as well have said zippity do dah. I thought a post held up a fence. Until recently I thought a mouse was a rodent, a download meant get the groceries out of the car, upload meant put the hay on the truck, and a megabyte meant a big 'ol dawg had hold of your rear end. So I figured out what to do. Find a kid. Fortunately my lovely daughter was downstairs and she patiently helped me. If you saw me typing this you would shake your head and say, somebody shoot him. I really can't type either.

At any rate, I am a saddlemaker. I make my own trees, make my silver, and of course build and tool my saddles. My daughter really is'nt a kid anymore, she's 19, pretty as a picture, and she really does shake her head and laugh when she sees me typing. Since she helped me do this we used pictures of a saddle I made for her several years ago. All the conchos are shaped like hearts, the horn cap, and frog are hearts and the inlaid seat is as well. Hope you like it.

Troy

post-5656-1202592748_thumb.jpg

post-5656-1202592966_thumb.jpg

Nice workmanship, your saddle is very nice. Good thing you got help to use the puter, cause we'd never have seen your work. Welcome to the leather workers board

Bob

Thank your daughter for ALL of us!

Beautiful craftsmanship!

Welcome to the asylum!

G'day from an equally computer illiterate numpty. welcome aboard and hope to hear from you soon.

Barra

Very possibly the most beautiful saddle and carving that I have ever seen.

PLEASE post more of your work.

respectfully,

pete

Beautiful work Troy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of this saddle in the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. And as far as being computer illiterate, you are definately not the only one on here with that problem. But I guess that's why we work with leather , not puters right.

Welcome to the site.

Edited by STPENNER

Two words...WOW!

Troy,

Welcome to our little corner of the world. Your reputation precedes you here. Glad to have you aboard, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. Don't worry about the computer skills, you've got the rest of it goin'.....

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!! (pun intended) That has got to be some of the most beautiful work I have ever seen..........but to know that you built the tree and made all the silver.............I'm blown away. This has got to be the leatherworkers holy grail.

I can't decide whether it inspires me to keep at it and hopefully get better or to jump over to the for sale forum and sell all my tools.......

Welcome on board and keep posting. (as long as your daughter is around to help)

Tim

Work??? This is Art with a capital A...WOW!

I agree with the others here, this is the most beautiful saddle I've ever seen, please have your daughter help you to put some more pictures on here, and Thanks for the ones you put in here:-)

Welcome//Tina

Troy

Great looking saddle and welcome to the forum. I may be having a bout

of deja vu but was that saddle entered in the competition at the boot and saddle makers roundup in Wichita Falls a few years ago 2005 or 2006? I usually hang out the bootmakers but also admire the beautiful saddles.

Randy

What can I say that hasn't already been said. That saddle is drop dead gorgeous. I'm a chicken typer ,too, hunt and peck. Oh yeah, welcome!

Troy,

Good to hear from you again! I love your good ole Texas boy analogy. Dito on everything you said! Your creativity and artistry always amaze me. Come on over to the saddle makers forum and get aquanted.

That just don't sound right comin' from a computer doe's it?

Jon

Howdy Troy, Beautiful Saddle, and now I know why your buddy Jay Gore told me I should look you up! I live in Greenville and Jay has made me some tools and is being very generous in helping me with my tooling. He has spoken very highly of you and told me you are one of the folks I should try and visit with. Now you've made the mistake of going public and made it easier for this leather stalker to find you!! I hope to get to visit with you about saddle making soon.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Help the weak if you are strong!
- Bob Marley - No More Trouble

Very nice work! Glad to have you here!

I knew I had seen your work before. You and your brother built a custom saddle for the president. :cowboy: . It is awesome!! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

If you guys haven't seen the West brothers work you need to check out their website. West Brothers Saddlery.

Regards,

Nick

I have to agree with Tim - should I be inspired or just sell my tools.

Your work is truly inspiring. I want to get out and meet some real saddle makers like you and Bruce in person.

I can't wait to see more of your work.

ArtS

This by far is one of the best looking saddles Ive ever seen. I dont know what else to say except it made me stop my class and drag everyone over to see it...

20 people and all of them gasped.

:jump:

Mr. West, welcome to the board.

I've been watching your work for quite a few years and it truley has been an inspiration. Yours as with Mr.s Bean, Watt, Storms, Harwood and many others, I try to keep near me for reference.

I have mentioned( and will continue) how frustating design can be and trying to break out of the cookie cutter copy cat syndrome many of us get stuck in. Having fine examples to ponder helps to raise the bar and keep trudging on and muddling through the practice work that it takes to improve.

Thanks for sharing. We have many new up and comers here to that can make good use of examples such as yours. GH

Beautiful work Troy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of this saddle in the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal. And as far as being computer illiterate, you are definately not the only one on here with that problem. But I guess that's why we work with leather , not puters right.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you all for your kind compliments.Yes, you did see this saddle in the Leather Crafters and saddlers Journal.

Troy,

Welcome to our little corner of the world. Your reputation precedes you here. Glad to have you aboard, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work. Don't worry about the computer skills, you've got the rest of it goin'.....

Thank you Bruce. I've read a number of your posts and they are always right on the money. I think you make an excellent moderator. Keep up the good work.

Troy

Hey Troy,

Where and how you been boy? I haven't heard from you in a long time. We've talked at Hide Crafter. Teresa and I didn't survive the business sale, but that's a good thing at least for me. That is a boootifull saddle and we're glad to have you on board (with your daughter's help). Give her a big hug for us.

Where would we be in this world of the "technically declined" older guys like you, me and some other in here?

:cheers:

Indy aka John

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!! (pun intended) That has got to be some of the most beautiful work I have ever seen..........but to know that you built the tree and made all the silver.............I'm blown away. This has got to be the leatherworkers holy grail.

I can't decide whether it inspires me to keep at it and hopefully get better or to jump over to the for sale forum and sell all my tools.......

Welcome on board and keep posting. (as long as your daughter is around to help)

Tim

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your kind words.I certainly don't want to be discouraging, but encouraging. We all have places we can improve in. I'm not where I want to be but I'm not where I used to be either. We can all do more than we think we can. I'll keep posting, you keep working.

Troy

Very nice work! Glad to have you here!

I knew I had seen your work before. You and your brother built a custom saddle for the president. :cowboy: . It is awesome!! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

If you guys haven't seen the West brothers work you need to check out their website. West Brothers Saddlery.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks Nick, but I no longer work at West Brothers Saddlery. I built a shop at my home about 4 years ago. My brother and I get along great, always have, but he works there and I work at my shop. My web site needs updating but it iswww.troywestsaddles.com