antman

My First Project Ever - Banjo Strap

Hi everyone. This is a banjo strap I decided to make. Nothing fancy. This is my first leatherworking project, so this is where it all begins. Been collecting tools since early Feb this year. Was originally going to work on a shooting tab and arm guard for archery, for myself.. But I needed this banjo strap!

I used a 2" (cut to 3/4" at ends), 56" long (around 54" after all the cutting), 8oz veg tanned belt strap. The color is Fiebing's Walnut Oil Dye.. It came out pretty dark, which is fine. I used a bit of Neatsfoot oil to give it some movement. It was quite stiff to begin with. I dyed the front, back, and sides with Walnut. I used Tan Kote on the rough side (I think that's the flesh side?). On the smooth side, I used Carnauba Crème. Do I need to use anything on top of the carnauba? I have Leather Sheen, which I used to seal the graphics. For the graphics, I made my cuts, tooled a little, then used Fiebing's acrylic dyes. I think it came out pretty cool for not having any leatherworking or painting experience :thumbsup: I picked up the AK from Tandy's, which happens to be pretty close to me. My initials :D

As you can see, it's not super clean.. But I'll get there. If you have any advice for me, please do share, as I'm very new at this. I do my research, but everyone has their own methods, so we'll see how this holds up.
Thanks for viewing. I hope to share some more of my projects, as well as learn from you guys. Thanks!

-Ant

Also, I was thinking of adding some padding to the underside of the strap. What do you guys think? Sheepskin? And how would I go about doing that? Can I glue it? Or would it have to be stitched on? I would imagine glue would stiffen the strap.

post-59469-0-66049300-1425543536_thumb.j

post-59469-0-43790200-1425543568_thumb.j