Ferg

Tandy Leather

I am not bashing Tandy.

I have dealt with the Tandy store in Cincinnati since it opened. I believe Michael was the original manager. This past summer Michael either was dismissed or he quit,

don't know, don't care. He was replaced by a young lady that I had no prior association with.

My wife gave me a Tandy Gift Card for Christmas of a substantial amount. I called one day and ask if I had to be at a store to redeem the card for merchandise. Was told yes, I couldn't redeem it over the phone or the Net

Tandy has recently obtained some single bends that are said to be 100% better than the Live Oak Premium which has become pretty bad. Thinking the store in Cincy would have them I didn't call first, drove down to find no Bends and little else leather wise. Ask one of the girls if they had any, she walked away from me and was conversing with her manager. Clerk did not return to me so I went to her again asking the same thing. "No we don't have any, Tandy only had a few of those and most of the stores never got any." I looked through the leather they had and concluded there was nothing there that I would take home if it was free. Manager approached me at that moment and ask what I was looking for, DUH! Explained again. "No, we don't have much leather in the store because of inventory, Tandy won't let us order yet." Ask if I seen anything I wanted, told her there simply wasn't anything worth taking home.

When I got home I called the store in Columbus, OH which is probably about the same distance from me. Asked if they had the single bends. They have an ample supply of all thicknesses. I ordered two.

BTW: There are three sets of numbers on the back of the card, you can indeed use it on the net or over telephone.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Ferg,

Please share with us what you think of the single bends. They are also offiering double butts which I assume are from the same place in Europe. If they are top quality, may not be a bad deal.

Thanks,

Terry

Ferg,

Please share with us what you think of the single bends. They are also offiering double butts which I assume are from the same place in Europe. If they are top quality, may not be a bad deal.

Thanks,

Terry

Terry,

I may get the single bends I ordered today but more likely Monday. I will post results.

BTW: I got them for $100.00 each

ferg

What happens to the Tandy store managers? The store in Richmond done the same thing last year. Do they move to a different store?

The selection and quality of hides at the Cincinnati Tandy store has always been terrible, even under Michael's management. I used to bypass the Tandy store and drive to Columbus for my hides. Now I just order them from a couple other companies. I asked Michael once if his store got poor quality hides because it doesn't sell well in Cincinnati. That store is more of a craft store.

If you are truly not bashing Tandy, you should give them a call and tell them about your experience. Posting it here probably won't help the company improve anything. Unlike Michael, the girls there don't lurk this forum.

I am not bashing Tandy.

I have dealt with the Tandy store in Cincinnati since it opened. I believe Michael was the original manager. This past summer Michael either was dismissed or he quit,

don't know, don't care. He was replaced by a young lady that I had no prior association with.

My wife gave me a Tandy Gift Card for Christmas of a substantial amount. I called one day and ask if I had to be at a store to redeem the card for merchandise. Was told yes, I couldn't redeem it over the phone or the Net

Tandy has recently obtained some single bends that are said to be 100% better than the Live Oak Premium which has become pretty bad. Thinking the store in Cincy would have them I didn't call first, drove down to find no Bends and little else leather wise. Ask one of the girls if they had any, she walked away from me and was conversing with her manager. Clerk did not return to me so I went to her again asking the same thing. "No we don't have any, Tandy only had a few of those and most of the stores never got any." I looked through the leather they had and concluded there was nothing there that I would take home if it was free. Manager approached me at that moment and ask what I was looking for, DUH! Explained again. "No, we don't have much leather in the store because of inventory, Tandy won't let us order yet." Ask if I seen anything I wanted, told her there simply wasn't anything worth taking home.

When I got home I called the store in Columbus, OH which is probably about the same distance from me. Asked if they had the single bends. They have an ample supply of all thicknesses. I ordered two.

BTW: There are three sets of numbers on the back of the card, you can indeed use it on the net or over telephone.

ferg

The selection and quality of hides at the Cincinnati Tandy store has always been terrible, even under Michael's management. I used to bypass the Tandy store and drive to Columbus for my hides. Now I just order them from a couple other companies. I asked Michael once if his store got poor quality hides because it doesn't sell well in Cincinnati. That store is more of a craft store.

If you are truly not bashing Tandy, you should give them a call and tell them about your experience. Posting it here probably won't help the company improve anything. Unlike Michael, the girls there don't lurk this forum.

Russ,

You have to believe they know how I felt about the service. Do you know the old saying, "Tail tucked between their legs" when referring to a puppy that got scolded?

That would describe the clerk and manager after my dissertation.

I know, you meant for me to call Tandy offices. Have attempted that many years ago and got little to know satisfaction, don't bother anymore.

BTW: I bought some good shoulders from Michael. If you haven't been there for awhile you may be surprised by the surrounding stores in that little shopping plaza.

ferg

Ferg,

Thanks,

Terry

Terry,

I got the bends from Tandy today. It is everything they say it is. Haven't carved any yet of course but it is as blemish free as any leather I have ever bought

from anyone. Beautiful!! product. I have a club membership, got it for $100.00 each.

ferg

Let us know how it tools. I have a couple of HO sides to finish with, and then will try the Tandy. It would be great to work with some leather that didn't have spots in it where you want to get out the skill saw to cut it with. The HO is nice, but there are some areas that are a real challenge.

Terry