Sign in to follow this  
rawhide1

Braided Rawhide Knife Sheath

Well I finally got around to doing this it was a fun project. I started out with making a sheath out of some scrap roo. I skived all the edges down so you couldn't feel a seam and glued them. I then covered this with a long 8 bight pineapple knot and used a herringbone pattern to fill in. I had to go with a under 3 over three.I used one string and I bet there's 30 to 40 foot of string used. For the loop I chose to use a strip of rawhide. I then put a coat of clear lac over it. All critiques welcome. I did cut the first knot off as it didn't look right. So counting the first knot I probably got around ten hrs. in it.

Thanks, Mike

post-4953-064370600 1311646645_thumb.jpgpost-4953-083229300 1311646665_thumb.jpgpost-4953-046952200 1311646690_thumb.jpgpost-4953-089737100 1311646709_thumb.jpgpost-4953-047541000 1311646727_thumb.jpg

I like it, must admit I also had a bit of a play with making sheaths out of pineapples etc, did''nt go down well here in the UK but it was fun trying two different flat braids sewn together to long knots and even adding straps - I found doing things like this helps you figger out the complexities of knots as well.

cheers for showing

Thanks Troy

I'll probably make a few more. But for smaller knives.

Mike

attached a few photos which might help show the possibilities - made the knives as well;

post-182-070996500 1311763905_thumb.jpg

A small dirk knife - used a small extended pinapple for the sheath leaving the both ends open slightly - but is long enough to hide point.

post-182-033986400 1311763934_thumb.jpg

Another small knife, this time I made two long flat braids - one for back and strap and another wider one for the front, sewing them together.

post-182-041685700 1311763990_thumb.jpg

A viking knife - braided one flat braid adding strings to make it slowly wider, then doubled over and sewed edges together.

Troy

Thanks for sharing your work. It just proves there's more than one way to skin a cat!!

Mike

awesome knives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dable in blade smithing myself and they look awesome i've been wanting to make one with the flint knapping patern for a long time i might try it after looking at these fine examples.