Sign in to follow this  
Dragonfly

making holes for jiffy rivets

what are you folks using to pre-punch your holes for the jiffy rivets and does it matter if the rivet cap is on the face or should the rivet cap be on the back? do you drill it or is there a special punch? Thanks---Jason

I use either a rotating leather punch (the squeezy kind) or a drive punch; depends on the leather and where I want the hole. As for what side the rivet cap is on... the public side, of course.

I use both kinds of punches, but for mass quantities of holes (over 50) in 12 oz leather, I use an electric drill. Any tags left on the hole edge are covered up by the head, but a slow entry with the bit ususlly makes a clean hole. It ain't a classy way to do it, but the results are the same as a hand punch. But, I'm definitely not the craftsman that many of this forums contributors are, so I'm just telling you what I do, and not making a recommendation. I feel like I know about 5% of what most of the folks here know. But I like to add my part, anyway.

Daggrim