Buddytink

Buying My 1St Swivel Knife

So I've been doing a lot of reading and watching youtube videos on leatherwork, and I've decided that now I think Im ready to start actually trying it out. So I figured I'd buy a Swivel knife so that I can start practicing. My goal is to eventually be able to make horse tack (bridles, breast collars, bronc nose halters to start)

I figrued I'd go with this Swivel knife first, what do yall think? Im' not sure on what blade to buy with it though. I thought about maybe buying a Rubyat blade first, since they do not have to be sharpened, just so I can practice, but dont know where to buy those sort of blades or what size?

http://www.barrykingtools.com/swivelknives.htm

And I dont know what kind or where I should buy some leather, I just need something to practice on that will be close to what I will actually be doing later, so if anyone has any suggestions there, I'd apprieciate it as well.

Buddytink,

I highly recommend that you do not buy a RubyAt knife blade. In spite of what you might have heard, they do require periodic stropping and sharpening, are extremely fragile and in my opinion at their very best will never sharpen like quality steel blades. Additionally the equipment required to reface ceramic and RubyAt blades cost hundreds of dollars. And if you ever drop one on the floor it's history.

There are many very good swivel knife makers out there and Barry King is certainly one of them. A great person too! His knives are made of solid brass. Henley and Chuck Smith knives are stainless steel, Bob Beards are tool steel and Leather Wranglers, a very popular newcomer to the swivel knife scene makes aluminum knives with high tech alloy blades. The best thing to do is to see them at a show and try them out. However any of these makers will give you a quality product. Their contact info is on the LW Home Page.

If you conduct a search here on LW you will find a lot of good info on swivel knives. It's a perpetual subject. Here is a link to a recent discussion....Click Here .

You need to find a Tandy store near you and check them out. They will help you with entry level tools, which I recommend until you determine whether or not you are addicted. Hidecrafters is also a good source for entry level tools. Both can supply you with leather and supplies. Both have catalogs and will ship.

A note about leather. Inexpensive leather does not cut well and is probably not he greatest to learn on. If there is a saddle shop in your area, you might talk to them about buying some scraps to practice on. That would also be an excellent source of info for you. Of course you can also come here....we are all addicted and are dedicated to helping.......

Bobby

Thanks for the advice and info! I will def. NOT be buying a rubyat blade LOL.