I am going to try and make my first holster for my own gun. i want to make it OWB with a belt loop on the backside and a belt slot on the side. i have seen the majority of holsters have a small strip of leather on the top of the holster that goes around the frame on the outside of the holster..What is this for and is it necessary? thank you

The strap is for strength and gun retention that adds to the style of the holster but is not absolutely necessary.

THe style of holster you want is commonly refered to as an Avenger Style, Historical known as an Askins or Askins Avenger. If this is the first one. I sugest you save yourself some head aches and get a pattern from Adams Leatherworks. The patterns are clear and he has an excellent video on making an Avenger style holster. It's a good video and you would have free access to it. THe pattern is for with and without the mouth re enforcement piece. His patterns are around $9 or 9.95. Not a bad price considering the efort it will save you. You did not say what barrel length it was. Here is a link for his 1911 5" Avenger. Click on shop at the top of his page to see other patterns. THey down load in PDF and print out full size. http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/shop/leather-holster-pattern-avenger-1911-5/

Edited by camano ridge

So, you didn't like the FREE one over here?

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55674&hl=

1911 5"

I don't know how many 'clones' it will suit, but I know for a fact it's a nice fit on the Colt, Springfield, and Rock Island Armory with 5" and no rails.

thank you all very much. I figured the strip was more for reinforcement but wasnt sure but now i know. I have a little knowledge about holsters just have never made one. also i will be making one for a 4" barrell

well as i was looking at adams leatherwork another question came to mind. what do yall think is better for the reinforcement piece...the little narrow strip or the big round that covers more of the holster?

1911 5"

I don't know how many 'clones' it will suit, but I know for a fact it's a nice fit on the Colt, Springfield, and Rock Island Armory with 5" and no rails.

JLS, my appologies. I forgot abpout yours, I actually used it shortly after you posted it and it worked quite well.

Hunter 131, my personal preference isthe larger re enforcement piece no scientific reason I just personaly like it better. It also gives you more area for embellishment such as tooling or inlaying a piece of exotic skin.

From the grumpy old guy -- the FIRST thing that I'd suggest you do is to purchase Al Stohlman's book "HOW TO MAKE HOLSTERS". That book is about $10 -$12 from damned near any place you get your supplies from. It may look a bit dated, however the information contained therein will save you a pot-load of time, effort, and headaches. Just my 2 cents.

P.S.

I purchased my copy sometime in the late 50s or early 60s -- at least 50 years ago, and almost every holster maker I know has their well worn copy. Mike

Edited by katsass

thank you for the input. i am going to make this one plain then later i might make them more detailed. as for the books i know i need to get several. money is tight right now and i just have to make things work if you know what i mean

I have that book in PDF format

Hint

How to Make Holsters is a very good investment. I would make it top on your priority list of things to buy if you plan on making any number of holsters. It is the best advice I have gotten from being on this forum.

Rather subtle hint St8Line. LOL!

THe style of holster you want is commonly refered to as an Avenger Style, Historical known as an Askins or Askins Avenger. If this is the first one. I sugest you save yourself some head aches and get a pattern from Adams Leatherworks. The patterns are clear and he has an excellent video on making an Avenger style holster. It's a good video and you would have free access to it. THe pattern is for with and without the mouth re enforcement piece. His patterns are around $9 or 9.95. Not a bad price considering the efort it will save you. You did not say what barrel length it was. Here is a link for his 1911 5" Avenger. Click on shop at the top of his page to see other patterns. THey down load in PDF and print out full size. http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/shop/leather-holster-pattern-avenger-1911-5/

Thanks for the link. I just looked through the patterns and found a free SIG P239 pattern. It is not a pattern for a 1911, but it is free.

1911 5"

Thanks for sharing your pattern. I have not made an Avenger holster yet, so your pattern will help me a lot just to get started. What weight leather do you use for Avenger type holsters, especially for heavier type semi's like 1911's, SIGS etc?

Edited by vaalpens

Thanks for sharing your pattern. I have not made an Avenger holster yet, so your pattern will help me a lot just to get started. What weight leather do you use for Avenger type holsters, especially for heavier type semi's like 1911's, SIGS etc?

That one is 8/9 oz. Sorry, should have said that with the pattern :dunno:

I've been known to add a 2/3 oz liner, but the 1911 is a bit narrow profile, and so it looks more natural to end up with about 8/9, so a fella might use 6/7 and line with 2/3 for a TOTAL of about 9.

well i finished the holster. i posted it in show off. thanks for the help everyone