McJeep

Epiphanies and wrist splints

So, as a newbie, I'm just starting to understand the whole addiction compulsion epiphany deal surrounding leatherwork LOL

I've got rheumatoid arthritis and need to wear a wrist splint ton one hand at times. So I picked up a good one but jusssst can't get it to fit reeeal comfortable. POOF! Why on earth don't I make my own out of a really sturdy weight leather / mold it to my own wrist / put the type of fastening on it that would make it easier to get on and off etc etc etc

I could make it black too cuz bikers like black ;0)

So my question to the group is does anyone have experience in this type of thing that they could share please? Weight of leather - moulding process - warm or cold soak - fasteners?

I presently plan to use the one I bought as a template (might as well get some use of it - the metal boning in it makes it impossible to get just right), do a tensor bandage wrap on my wrist when molding (to allow for thickness of a lining when done) and use velcro straps that go through a buckle and pull back before fastening (to allow easier one hand adjustment)

Any and all ideas are appreciated folks - thanks in advance :0)

Rob

I've got a messed up right wrist. I would be very interested in a custom made brace/splint! Velcro is the easiest way to fasten it, I think, and would allow for some adjustment when my wrist is swollen. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Johanna

I've got a messed up right wrist. I would be very interested in a custom made brace/splint! Velcro is the easiest way to fasten it, I think, and would allow for some adjustment when my wrist is swollen. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Johanna

I have a messed up mind.I wonder if

I can make something out of leather

to help it get back to normal if it ever

were normal. If anyone here has come

across this afore I would be open to

any and all suggestions. On fixin my

head not anything else.

WINDY

I have a messed up mind.I wonder if

I can make something out of leather

to help it get back to normal if it ever

were normal.

How about this, Windy? Just a thought.

Kate

Hey McJeep,

I'm not sure what you want to use for leather or if it will work but a friend gave me some heavy black harness leather. I'm talking 16 oz or thicker. If interested, let me know and I can make you a screamin' deal on it. PM me and I can give more details if you like.

Joe

Holy crow, that's be like 1/4" thick or better LOL Musta been one tuff ole cow ;0)

i've got some 11/12 oz here that I'm thinking will fit the bill but will keep this in mind if it ends up not being enough support.

Thanks Joe :0)

Rob

Hey McJeep,

I'm not sure what you want to use for leather or if it will work but a friend gave me some heavy black harness leather. I'm talking 16 oz or thicker. If interested, let me know and I can make you a screamin' deal on it. PM me and I can give more details if you like.

Joe

I've worn splints on and off for years on my hands and wrists since I messed mine up as a kid. I'd suggest 11-12oz, I have some 16oz lying around and I think it'll come out too hard. I'm guessing you don't want a prefectly rigid splint, I hate them as it causes more stiffness than provides relief (might be different for you). You can always add a second layer and skive it to be nice and smooth if you need more support around the joint.

I like your idea of the velcro looping back over itself. All of the splints I've used have had velcro straps and I've never wanted anything else.

I would love to see a good design for this because I have the same need for a brace.