Sign in to follow this  
TomSwede

Ladies night, just finished a purse

Liner is glued to a thin layer of cellpadding to give extra protection for cellphone, Mexican basket weave ShirleyZ style braids to hold it together and decorative braid is triple loop. This is the one shown in a thread about getting this black/red effect.

Tom

IMG_7281_01.jpg

IMG_7282_01.jpg

IMG_7293_01.jpg

IMG_7301_01.jpg

IMG_7342_01.jpg

post-5146-1213138055_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1213138122_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1213138134_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1213138183_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1213138200_thumb.jpg

Very soon there will be one very happy lady! :-) Good show!

Liner is glued to a thin layer of cellpadding to give extra protection for cellphone, Mexican basket weave ShirleyZ style braids to hold it together and decorative braid is triple loop. This is the one shown in a thread about getting this black/red effect.

Tom

Tom,

You've got the hang of seating/orienting that maker's stamp without a bounced image. The purse/case looks really good! What's the lining that you used?

John aka Indy

Edited by indypbear

Thanks guys!

Yeah that stamp is tough to handle, just gotta be firm with it.

The liner fabric is some sort of satin blackish red colour with black decorations on it. It really was a good find for this project.

BTW, the liner was difficult to glue since it is so thin. Had to remake it one time 'cuz the first one was bleeding through and looked bad.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

Great looking purse, Tom! You sure have a good eye for detail. The new owner should be very pleased with it!

You must have a strong arm to control that maker's stamp. I've found that when I whack my maker's stamp with a mallet, I get that bounce everyone talks about. If I whack it with a 1 pound rubber mallet, I get a very clear impression with no bounce. Must be the mallet bounces instead of the stamp?

Hilly

Thanks Hilly! I think she'll like it too.

Haven't figuread out what forces is going on when whacking big stamps but here sure are forces and ways to del with it. I saw some people prefferred a metalhammer (!) some rubber some dead blow types.

I use a 42oz deadblow and keep my work to the ground and lay my bodyweight over the stamp and then strike.

Tom

Thanks Hilly! I think she'll like it too.

Haven't figuread out what forces is going on when whacking big stamps but here sure are forces and ways to del with it. I saw some people prefferred a metalhammer (!) some rubber some dead blow types.

I use a 42oz deadblow and keep my work to the ground and lay my bodyweight over the stamp and then strike.

Tom

I had faith you'd develop a technique. Deadblow is good and a firm grip tight to the project with ONE strike!

Small mallet-small die, Large mallet-large die, mobetta.

Indy

:cheers:

THAT IS ONE CLASSY LOOKIN PURSE ! ! !

ALL AROUND.

GREAT JOB TOM ! ! !

:You_Rock_Emoticon:  Very nice Tom!  This looks super good. Especially like the application of the braiding. Who is the lucky lady that will be getting this one?  Great piece as usual.

Storm

Tom,

Another fine piece of work!

The color is great.

Did you base your wesite colors on this purse or vice versa?

Outstanding purse.

Johnny

Hi Tom,

very nice purse you did there !! Could you please tell me in which thread there was written something about this black/red effect ?!? I´ve searched, but wasn´t able to find it.

Cheers,

Marcel

The support one get's at this board is so great and really helps me pushing forward. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Yes John, big stamp-big mallet and big strike.

Thank you Craftsman and Storm!

This purse goest to a girl named Laila at my job. She saw the first rodtube and was sold on a purse in the same colourscheme.

The decorative braids forms a heart if put together, not a flirt from my side but rather a nice touch.

Thank you Colman!

I've been doing the black and red based stuff for a while now and really feel it's such a nice combination that really suits my persona well so it's gotta be sorta my insignia together with the compass star of my makers stamp wich in it's whole has the shape of a eye, so does the website layout do aswell but we'll see if I can keep it that way. New to webdesign so probably need to re-work that in future.

Thanks you Adamant!

This colouring will suit a cue case nicely. Have you seen the rod tube I made with this colour scheme?

the tut is here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...ic=2886&hl=

It has one drawback, when putting on finisg/sealer you get a purple colour in the wet finish wich really shows upon the golden layouts so I have to deglaze golden parts after finishing and a little touch up with new gold dye paint and finally seal those parts again, otherwise the gold gets a purple not so good looking shine.

I've come to call this colourscheme the old heritage.

Tom- the longposter;-)

sweet work tom, i love the color, lacing and the pattern on the back is sharp.

Thanks Roo!

The artwork on the back (cross and cornerstones shapes) was actually taken from some small childrens lego (Duplo, I think) and how they look.

Tom

Gorgeous! The braiding looks awesome! :You_Rock_Emoticon: Linda

its really purdy tom!!...i agree you've done a sweet job with that color scheme...very rich/deep color...nice :red_bandana:

ya just gotta show that stamp whose the damn boss and runs the show around there hehe

cheers

darryl

Edited by sodapop

Nice job, Tom! I really like that color combo that you came up with. Gives it nice rich look. :clapping:

Crystal

There you go freak'n amazing me again. Great work brotha.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

:deadsubject: ....LOL!!!!

Thank you all so much!!

Anyone noticed the heart...man I'm going soft these days :deadsubject:

Tom

Look at you gettin down with all the decorative braiding....you know I gotta love that.

David

Yes David, I sure gave you a thought when doing this and hoped you'd like it.

Got meself new book now, Bruce Grants braiding. Sure got some nice stuff there to pickup.

I just love those circular braidings you do so now I got stuff like it in print. I know you did a tut on that but was thinking it got lost in the Big crash.

Thanks alot David!

Tom

Sucks you called that a purse bro cause I liked it as a "Man Bag"...

Keep beating the horse, You'll get less sensative that way... :deadsubject:

Sucks you called that a purse bro cause I liked it as a "Man Bag"...

Keep beating the horse, You'll get less sensative that way... :deadsubject:

You're right as usual...man bags to the people.......... :rofl:

Hi Tom,

That is beautiful and much like the miley string purse kit I got from Tandy, the gussets I mean...but do you think there is any way to sew gussets in and have a purse look ok (small purse)? I am trying to think of a way to put them together that has a little larger gusset and little larger purse, but that doesn't have to be laced. My lacing takes forever!

Good work!

Charlene