Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Making an album cover ?

I am planning to make a photo album as a gift for my niece's wedding. I'd like to do an album where the pages are held in with screw posts. My question is; how do i best make the hinge between the rigid strip that hold the screws (if you know what I mean) and the cover itself? Or, could you suggest a book that would have the instructions on how to do this.

Thanks much

Hello Ian, I have made several photo albums. (usually 12 x 12). I make mine using kind of 2 layers for the front and back. I use a heaver leather like a saddle skirting for the main body. I cut a v gouge about 1 1/4 from one end. I punch my holes where the posts will go. I wet the leather and fold it over towards the rough side of the leather and clamp it or weigh it down to get a good crease. I use a 5/6 oz leather for the front and back. These pieces are the same width as the skirting, but not quite as long. (They are about 1" shorter than the fold.) I tool my design on the front piece and stain the back piece. I sew the two layers together on 3 sides leaving the side open at the end that is folded. I take a light weight 3/4 leather that is about 12 inches wide and long enough to just fit between the stitching lines on the front and back. I put my posts in under the fold and the pages go on top of the 1" that is folded over. I screw the posts together then slide the light weight leather in to the "pocket" on each side to cover the hinged area.

This allows more pages to be added and still cover the end. Hope this description makes sense. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Another person to get ahold of is Chan Geer, He is teaching a class on making a photo album, I think it is listed somewhere on this website. I have attached a picture of a finished one. I don't think I have any of the process, but I am currently working on one and will be sure to take pictures of the step by step this time. Thanks Deb

Tooled_Photo_Allbum.jpg

post-5832-1238210349_thumb.jpg