Mike Craw

Does Anyone Still Make "Coronas" for Saddles?

In the "Saddle Identification" section under the "Ted Flowers Saddle" posting, SilverSaddle1 posted a photo of a room full of silver mounted saddles. I was struck by the number of them that have the alternating colored "coronas" I believe they are called, around the edges of the skirts. Seems like all my western heros had saddles with them on (I thought they were all black and white...everything else was...insert age joke here). Of all the saddles we have gotten in for repair, and all that I have seen in catalogs or on websites, none have the skirt edging like you see in the books on saddle history. Does anyone know how they are made, or if they are available commercially?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Happy 4th of July weekend, especially to my fellow vets!

Hey, you're a vet? ))))HUGS(((( to you and all other vets... Mr. HorsehairBraider is a vet too...

As far as I know the corona is a saddle pad and not part of the saddle. At least that is the way I've always seen them made. Or maybe I did not understand your question? Anyway the ones I have seen are pieces of sheepskin rolled in a tube, on the edge of the saddle pad. I've never seen the saddles in person though. I would imagine each saddle pad would be made special for that size saddle.

Hey HorsehairBraider!

Thanks for the hugs (US Marines 1969 -71)! We went to "Taps at Twilight" on Memorial Day here on St. Simons Island. As the ceremony was ending and I was packing up our chairs, a young man walked up to me and said, "Thank you for your service." I know that's a customary thing to say to our service men and women today, but it certainly wasn't in the late 60's and early 70's. It was the first time that anybody had actually said it to me, and I was so stunned I could barely respond. Strange feeling.

Thanks also for your response to my question. Many of the photos of the old saddles I have seen look like the corona was attached to the saddle pad, but others appear to be attached to the skirts themselves. Maybe SilverSaddles1 might have some close-up shots he'd be willing to post.

Thanks again for the response(s).

Mike

Edit: For spelling. It's amazing how everything looks good until you hit "Submit" and it appears in bigger type and all the spelling errors jump off the screen!

Edited by Mike Craw

In the "Saddle Identification" section under the "Ted Flowers Saddle" posting, SilverSaddle1 posted a photo of a room full of silver mounted saddles. I was struck by the number of them that have the alternating colored "coronas" I believe they are called, around the edges of the skirts. Seems like all my western heros had saddles with them on (I thought they were all black and white...everything else was...insert age joke here). Of all the saddles we have gotten in for repair, and all that I have seen in catalogs or on websites, none have the skirt edging like you see in the books on saddle history. Does anyone know how they are made, or if they are available commercially?

Mike - I joined so I could answer your question. SilverSaddle1 and I are personal friends and we are both serious parade saddle collectors. To answer your question concerning Corona pads, most of the original ones made in the Hollywood cowboy era (40's, 50's and 60's) were black and white since T.V.'s were black and white. With the advent of color T.V.'s and also in combination with parade classes being added to many horse shows, colors became more prolific. A true corona pad has a leather center that is in two separate pieces with lacing to join them. Each side had a corona roll stitched around them and the lacing in the center allowed them to be adjusted to fit a parade saddle properly. The leather coronas are no longer made except by a very few custom saddlemakers and if you find one that is an antique, they are extremely pricey now. Due to an increasing popularity in parade saddles in the 60's, the felted or fleeced corona pad became popular because it was less costly, and easier to manufacture. SilverSaddle1 and his wife actually make these and do a very nice job - I think he told me that he could turn one out in a day if they really make the effort. There are some cheaper imitations out there but his are nice quality pads. There were also a few parade saddles made that actually had a corona roll that would snap onto the underside of the saddle itself. I was fortunate to stumble across a model like that a few years back but they are extremely rare.

As to how they are made, there is a set of complete instructions that appears occasionally on ebay - you just have to keep diligently checking. I believe SilverSaddle1 purchased a set of those instructions but I don't think that he strictly adheres to them. Hopefully, he'll pop back in and add to what I've posted here as I don't mean to speak for him.

Hope this helps to answer your questions, at least in part. This looks like a very interesting board and I plan to lurk a bit and learn. :cowboy:

Briarcreekfarm,

I know you can't speak for silversaddle1, but I would be interested in getting one made for a miniature Bholin parade saddle that I'm making.

I figure with silver horn, swells, back cantle, corner plates and bordered with silver it might just need one.

Would be interested in getting a price, if you talk to him again you might mention it.

Thanks, Casey

Try here, I found this a couple of months ago. They are not inexpensive!

Justin

http://weaglepads.com/

About 10 years ago I made my own. I bought some thread and looped them around a cassette case then tied them in the middle then cut the loops. This gave me a ring of one color then I alternated them on a thin rope through the middle. Then I sewed them to a felt pad that I cut to fit my saddle. I have since taken it apart. I am going to remake it. I trimmed it down thinner. I also learned not to put it under the fenders (too bulky). It was a decent first try at it.

Art

ART.JPG

artepris2.jpg

post-195-1247547581_thumb.jpg

post-195-1247547614_thumb.jpg

Briarcreekfarm,

I know you can't speak for silversaddle1, but I would be interested in getting one made for a miniature Bholin parade saddle that I'm making.

I figure with silver horn, swells, back cantle, corner plates and bordered with silver it might just need one.

Would be interested in getting a price, if you talk to him again you might mention it.

Thanks, Casey

I'll send him an email today and let him know you would like to talk to him.

The Eagle pads are very nice but to tell the truth, we parade saddle traditionalists would not use one that modern in style. I have purchased a few of the more modern ones in the past but they were bought before I really became a "purist" :rolleyes: .

ArtS - your coronas look very good - I have an older one that has a larger tufted roll on it like yours and I always get compliments on that particular one.

I'll come back sometime today and put a link to a gallery page that shows most of our sets. There is a picture on that page of the saddle with the detachable corona roll and I'll point it out too.

Thanks to all in allowing me to join the conversation. I don't get to have good parade saddle conversations much and it's a real pleasure!

Susan

ETA - here's a link to our gallery page. The parade saddle with detachable corona is the 10th set down the page: http://bcfgallery.tripod.com/ (this page is a little slow loading on some computers - my apologies).

Edited by BriarcreekFarm

Susan,

Thanks for posting the link to your collection, very impressive. I will have to post pictures of my Bholin miniature when I get it finished, don't hold your breath it will take some time.

As to how they are made, there is a set of complete instructions that appears occasionally on ebay - you just have to keep diligently checking. I believe SilverSaddle1 purchased a set of those instructions but I don't think that he strictly adheres to them. Hopefully, he'll pop back in and add to what I've posted here as I don't mean to speak for him.

I just joined to ask this question; Do you remeber who the ebay i.d. is of the person selling the complete instructions on making them. I could put it in my ebay saved search and when they put something up I can be notified. I'm wanting to see if I can scale the instructions down to 1/32 scale. I work in miniature leather tack for model horses (breyer, stone, resin horse models). I do parade sets and would love to make real looking cooronas- I ha been using blk

/white striped hair holders. But, I want more detailed "real" looking coronas.

Thank you,

Kim

I know this is an old post but has anyone found instructions on how to make a corona?

My saddle is almost done and I would like to make a corona for it.

Thanks, Casey

Hi, I have a old black & white corona pad... they are split it the middle...laced together so you can ajust... black wool about an inch and a half thick, edge is binded with leather ...black and white tuffed wool around the side and back of the pad with a gap where your stirrup leather hangs and a leather guard where stirrup leather hangs if anyone is still looking I can take pic's of it..cowhorse

Hey HorsehairBraider!

Thanks for the hugs (US Marines 1969 -71)! We went to "Taps at Twilight" on Memorial Day here on St. Simons Island. As the ceremony was ending and I was packing up our chairs, a young man walked up to me and said, "Thank you for your service." I know that's a customary thing to say to our service men and women today, but it certainly wasn't in the late 60's and early 70's. It was the first time that anybody had actually said it to me, and I was so stunned I could barely respond. Strange feeling.

Thanks also for your response to my question. Many of the photos of the old saddles I have seen look like the corona was attached to the saddle pad, but others appear to be attached to the skirts themselves. Maybe SilverSaddles1 might have some close-up shots he'd be willing to post.

Thanks again for the response(s).

Mike

Edit: For spelling. It's amazing how everything looks good until you hit "Submit" and it appears in bigger type and all the spelling errors jump off the screen!

Hey Mike! I am also a vet, US Navy 65-69. I was recently coming back across the border from Canada after a business trip and the U.S. border guard said the same thing to me. Like you, I also was taken by surprise, and could barely respond. Things sure are different today, unlike back then. Welcome back!

Bondo Bob

Well hello everybody!

I guess it's been a while since we have been here. Yes, we do still make corona pads. Each pad is custom made to fit the customer's saddle. These are one piece pads without the lacing in the centers. This saves $$$ on cost. We can make the two piece pads, but they are about twice as much as a one piece pad. For more information, please go to

www.theparadesaddleman.com

Thanks!!

Hi - I have 4 black and white ones - for a parade team, but I lost my posse. I just posted them on Craigs list SF. They are handmade, handsome thick plush wool - the GOOD ones - not the cheap knockoffs.

White Eagle made them, and 3 are brand new, one is used once (in photo)

Corona Paddle Pad 005.JPG

Here is another pic - reading you have a parade team & I have 4 matching for sale. If interested please contact me 707.942.9494. Thank you. Full pic's and info on Craigs list SF 

Corona Paddle Pad 004.JPG

One more shot of the beautiful  Full Grain Top Quality Wear Leathers on the sides.

Corona Paddle Pad 010.JPG