CCPhotog

Strap Cutting Tools

I'd like to invest in a strap cutter, but the only one I can find is the Tandy draw gauge. Which, strikes me as a an incredibly good way to cut my hand on the blade.

Then I found this video :

If you skip to the 1:45 mark, you can see the worker using a palm held device to cut strips. What is that tool, and where could I get one? I'd like to hear from more experienced posters on the preferred way to cut strips efficiently. Right now I'm using a ruler and it's not entirely consistent.

Maybe some kind of plough gauge? Bruce Johnson would know...maybe he'll chime in...

Edited by TXAG

Don't even need to see the video anymore, question comes about once a month and it sure looks handy. I tried to track it down a few years ago. I have asked a few folks in England and even the one I talked to at Jeffries was not real sure where they got the cutter. One guy said he thought it was made by a handyman sort of guy in Walsall. He said it used roller knife blades and spacers between to set the widths, sort of like the strap cutting machines. It really doesn't look all that hard to make knowing that now. He said it was good for fixed widths, but he liked the ability to change widths and used a plough gauge once he left production work.

I have that strap cutter. I haven't really used it yet. I bought it as a part of a tool lot, so I can't comment on the usability,

However I think it would be quick to use, if you're doing a bunch of straps in one width, but it isn't quick to adjust to a different width

I have that strap cutter. I haven't really used it yet. I bought it as a part of a tool lot, so I can't comment on the usability,

However I think it would be quick to use, if you're doing a bunch of straps in one width, but it isn't quick to adjust to a different width

Any chance you'd be willing to share detailed pictures with the class?

What thickness and type of leather are you wanting to cut? The wooden strap cutter from Tandy works on light weight leathers and most latigos. Disposable injector razor blades are easy to change. I cut straps all the time, anywhere from 1/4" up to 3" and use a Osborne type ( left handed model master tool from Weaver Leather) draw gauge with no (knock on wood) cuts to my hands. Using a leather clamp and a sharp blade. Put a cover on the blade and hang it up when not in use.

Hi,

That is a plough cutter as indicated by Bruce.

http://www.sheridanleather.com/Blanchard_Plough_Gauge_p/dt-1381-d.htm

Plough gauges are a European cutting tool, often from France or England. They operate under a pushing motion, as opposed to pulling, which allows for greater leverage. This plough gauge is made by Blanchard and is marked "18" in three different places. The bar is marked to 10 centimeters and the blade is included. Its bar is 4-1/2" and in mint condition. This tool is made of metal and has a hardwood handle with a brass roller and brass ferrule. It is absolutely indispensable for all shops, as it will cut 1-10 centimeters in width of strap. This particular tool is in very good condition with some cosmetic signs of age and usage, none of which will affect functionality.

What I see in that video is totally different than the traditional plough gauge link to on Sheridan Leather.

What is in the link I believe has roller type blades and spacers between them. It is like a gang set up rotary knife. Since the original thread came up I have heard from two people who use(d) similar setups. One had fixed arced blades that cut like a round knife. They had a slot to adjust blade height and account for wear. The other was a shop-made gang rotary knife. I'd be interested if Simon can take a few pictures of his. As of yet, nobody has any.

Gentlemen,

What you are seeing is indeed a SINGLE cut been made each time with a device with only ONE blade and a handle...hence my referral to a plough gauge being used.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures, but I trust you can see what I see!

post-51328-0-86282300-1412061718_thumb.j

post-51328-0-51868600-1412061785_thumb.j

post-51328-0-86041300-1412061833_thumb.j

The referencing to Sheridan Leather was only to indicate that they supply plough gauges - I am not saying the one indicated is the one used in the video

Edited by dirkba

Sorry for my confusion, and thank you for the pictures

Edited by J Hayes

J Hayes,

No sweat!

If we don't help each other how are we going to learn?

Exactly! Thank you very much!

Now to figure out how to make one.....

Edited by J Hayes

My apologies for the confusion as well. I had seen a video of a gang type that cut three or four strips at once. I assumed this was the same one - similar but not the same.

Mine looks a bit different than the one in the clip. However, it's basically the same. The blade is mounted between a series of discs that decide the strap width.

I'll post some pics, when I find the time.

I forgot to add that I bought mine through a guy who emptied the estate of a saddler in Walsall along with some other English tools.