Sign in to follow this  
Greywynd

New from Ontario

Hi everyone!

Just found the site today, and been looking around a lot, some great stuff to be found here!

I've been away from leather work for a few years, but thinking about getting active in it again, for a variety of reasons. Previously I had primarily done repair work on english tack, primarily halters, bridles and reins. I did make a bridle for a pony we had when we couldn't find anything commercially available that was small enough. (I'll have to ask my better half if it's still around, that was likely 10 years or more ago.)

I'm a tool and die maker by trade, so the tooling end of things has always interested me. I've also acquired metal lathes this past year, and am in the process of getting those up and running, but am already thinking of things/ways I can use them to add to my leather work tools and techniques. I also do a lot of welding of various types, so will likely use that in some way sooner or later.

I'm located near Peterborough, Ontario, so most of my stuff in the past came from either a Tandy dealer, or one of the Toronto locations. One of the things I've seen already on here is the information about various dealers, something I hope to take advantage of in the future.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting folks on here, and getting back into it!

Mark

Hi and :welcome: to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found our little corner of the internet. There's lots of members, both amateurs and professionals, who'll be happy to help with any questions you might have. Ask away, and enjoy one of the friendliest sites on the 'net.

Tool and die maker.....oh you're gonna have so much fun making your own stuff.

Hello And Welcome!

Welcome aboard the the leatherworker forum!!!

You'll discover tons of things and be amazed by some people around here. We've got it all but the most important thing around here is the friendly and sharing atmosphere we have here so never hesitate to ask for help or about peoples work.

Sometimes we form a band and play together too :guitar::drum::trumpet: !

Tom

Hi everyone!

Just found the site today, and been looking around a lot, some great stuff to be found here!

I've been away from leather work for a few years, but thinking about getting active in it again, for a variety of reasons. Previously I had primarily done repair work on english tack, primarily halters, bridles and reins. I did make a bridle for a pony we had when we couldn't find anything commercially available that was small enough. (I'll have to ask my better half if it's still around, that was likely 10 years or more ago.)

I'm a tool and die maker by trade, so the tooling end of things has always interested me. I've also acquired metal lathes this past year, and am in the process of getting those up and running, but am already thinking of things/ways I can use them to add to my leather work tools and techniques. I also do a lot of welding of various types, so will likely use that in some way sooner or later.

I'm located near Peterborough, Ontario, so most of my stuff in the past came from either a Tandy dealer, or one of the Toronto locations. One of the things I've seen already on here is the information about various dealers, something I hope to take advantage of in the future.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting folks on here, and getting back into it!

Mark

Hello Mark and welcome to the site. I'm also Based in Ontario, Caledon area. Tandy leather can be a great source for leather although doing a search online for wholesale leather , you'll save loads of money if your thinking of getting back into the trade.

www.brettunsvillage.com is based in Maine USA but very affordable leather and never an issue with customs.

Capitial findings in toronto, north york is amazing as well for dye, a large canister is 13 there but at tandy its 27.

If you contact them pls let them know stephen of Green Man Leather sent you!

I recently sold a house in Peterborough, lived there for many years.

Happy to talk more about leather with you. You have experience making horse reins? I'm looking to to offer services of this nature in my neck of the woods.

Stephen

www.greenmanleather.ca

:grouphug5vj5:

Welcome to the forum where you will find many masters and tons of opinions. Seek and you shall find.

Happy New Years greetings from Round Rock, Tx USA

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!

Tat2 (Stephen) most of my rein experience is repairs, when we first got into horses, it seemed like we would have 'runs' on what would get broken. One year it was leather halters, one year reins, and so on. Fortunately I usually had extras, or some that were beyond repair, so they would get mixed and matched, patched, whatever to get as many going again as possible. This was all on English gear, so there wasn't any carving or tooling involved either, by the way.

I'm into Toronto fairly often right now, I run equipment doing snow removal in the Markham Road/401 area. If I know I'll have an opportunity, I'll gather up some stuff and bring it along some time if you wish to take a peek, my other half has a pretty decent assortment of reins/bridles these days.

One of my future projects (hopefully fairly soon future) is to build a bench mounted skiver/splitter of 6-8" in width. Though that will be more metal work than leather, I'll see what I can do to post some pictures and detail the process. I'm also looking at a possibility of using blades that are readily available, from another use, to make replacements easy to get.

Mark

Hey Mark, good to see another Onarion on board. I'm from Welland which is by Niagara Falls. Peterborough is a nice city. Take care and I look forward to seeing your work.

-Chris

Hey Mark, good to see another Onarion on board. I'm from Welland which is by Niagara Falls. Peterborough is a nice city. Take care and I look forward to seeing your work.

-Chris

I spent a day touring areas around Welland late last winter. Went and checked out parts of the canal, the Blue Ghost Tunnel, and the Screaming Tunnel (I think that was the name of the last one.)

There's a lot of interesting history in a small area down there.....

Hey and Welcome, Cambridge here, but know your area well. :welcome:

Hey and Welcome, Cambridge here, but know your area well. :welcome:

We have friends in St George that we try to visit when we can, but no plans right now for a while....of course, that trek right through Toronto is always interesting. :blink::blink:

Always great to know there's another from the home province. I'm from the Dryden-Kenora area near the western end. Right now it's the land of ice, snow and slush.

welcome from another ontarian, i'm from the kincardine area. my brother used to live in peterbourough, and i used to live in wellandport. funny how small the world can be at times. this is a great community...so much help and fun!

Hello everyone from Ontario. I had introduced myself about a month ago, but no one came back to say they were from Ontario at all. I guess Kingston is too far from the Center of The Known Universe (TO)

Anyway, when I was working and living in Manitoba, I used to deal with a company called Wharkov-Safeer http://www.warkov.com/ they have absolutely everything leather. Tools, supplies, hides, glues.

They ship to Ontario as well. Maybe check out the site.