Sign in to follow this  
hatcreek

Introduction And A Couple Of Questions

I have been a recreational leather tinkerer for the past 20 years, just making the odd saddle bag, knife sheath etc. Most of my work is just for fun and gifts to friends and family. For the past few months, I have really gotten a passion to improve my meager skills and I have been trying (in vain mostly) to achieve more professional results. For example, I finally splurged last month and upgraded from my boss to the Cobra class 4 (Love it so far). That really helped my stitching (and my arm). I have been focusing on working on my edges, trying different burnishing methods, gum tragamath (?), and reading everything you guys write on the subject. They are getting better, but not to the level I want.

Here's my first question:

Last night I finished a bag and after sanding it to get the pieces level (front and back), I beveled the edges, and then do to the thickness of the piece I burnished the edges with a dowel wrapped in canvas that I placed in my drill press. I slightly wet the edges and went at it for a while. They looked good, but not great. I still had that seem showing between the pieces. After it dried, I died the edges and them I could really see the flaws. It is a round piece that goes over the horn of the saddle for a small bag. It just is not round enough. I can see the flaws in the cuts and it looks bumpy. Any ideas on how to fix this? The leather is already dyed.

Thanks to all you for your posts. I have learned a lot over the past few months. I look forward to being able to contribute my own ideas and help to someone some day.

Jim

Hey, Hatcreek, welcome aboard, . . . this is a fun place to be, . . . lots of helpful folks here.

Can you put a picture or two of your questionable "project" out there for us to look at?

For burnishing, I prefer using a 5/8"dowel rod that has a 1/8 inch drill bit cemented into it's center, . . . kinda bowling pin shaped (sorta), . . . with a very little bit of moisture, . . . and REAL bees wax. It goes into a Dremel tool at about 1750 rpms.

I usually do a cursory burnish before dyeing, . . . touch it up before finish coat, . . . and sometimes come back after the finish coat and use the finishing product with the Dremel, . . . love the effect.

May God bless,

Dwight

burnishing.jpg

post-6728-12756198688_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim, welcome to Leatherworker.net!

As you see, we're a helpful lot, so keep the questions coming...We also LOVE pics.

Now, to the question of edges: I humbly refer you Mr. Bob Park's (aka Hidepounder) tutorial on edges HERE.

I'd also like to mention that you may need a different edger to cut the corners down more, and possibly need to leave more leather on the 'outside' of the seam to allow for sanding the edge down. I still get the split-edge from time to time, and it's almost always when I neglect to glue all the way to edge...or when I don't have the edges cut long enough to allow for proper sanding.

Thanks for the welcome guys,

I meant to take some photos last night, but after I spilled a bottle of super sheen all over myself I got side tracked. I will get some taken tonight and post them tomorrow. I actually do have Bob Parks tutorial printed out in my shop. I look at his edge and then mine and keep striving for that look.

Okay, finally got the pictures. After looking at it on the saddle, I think next time I will make the hole smaller and add a slot cut to get it over the horn.

I donated these two to my riding club for a raffle this last weekend for their Equine rescue team. Got some nice comments and interest. Of course both of these were won by my friend who does not even have a horse... I guess I am not gonna see these riding around town.

The dots on the large bag came out when I pressed the leather into the mold. I really like the look in person, in the photos it looks more like I missed with the dye.

Please feel free to critique my work. It is the only way I will get better.

Thanks,

Jim

Large bag with molded front and side pockets.JPG

Small molded horn bag 2.JPG

Both bags.JPG

post-14605-127593003211_thumb.jpg

post-14605-127593004171_thumb.jpg

post-14605-127593011518_thumb.jpg