Sign in to follow this  
ranchmom77

Sewing On Fringe And Pinking Punch Question

Hi everyone,

For my next chink project I'm making an off white body with darker yokes and side plates.. I'd like to have the fringe the contrasting darker color also but am not sure what kind of leather to use. My initial thought is just a darker chrome tanned leather.. The same leather as the body, just darker. Is this correct?

I've also acquired a large side of 3-4 oz upholstery leather and would like to make chinks out of it also.. It's a saddle tan color, so what kind of leather would you use for fringe for these?

I'd like to have a small (1/2 inch or so) scallop pattern on the leg body where the fringe joins.. What kind of tool would I need to get for that effect?

Thanks so much!

Jamie

Pinked scalloping or a smooth half round scalloping?

Hi Bruce,

I guess I don't know the difference between the two.. Could you explain it to me? I was under the impression that to get a smooth scallop you used a pinking punch :)

I have attached a picture of a pinked scalloping punch. They cut a pinked edge around the scallop and some people use those on chaps and other trim applications. A smooth punch doesn't have the pinked edge. Easiest way is to grind off half of a round drive punch. Hope this helps.

post-29-0-17539800-1390018757_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for your help Bruce. I will probably be getting ahold of you in the next few days to order a pinking punch from you. :)