Hello all,

I desperately need some expert help!! I make elastic Y-back suspenders in six different colors for children, and I'd like to change the leather patch on the back. Right now, I use a faux leather in three different colors and would like to transition to one color that I can have my company name embossed on.

I'm extremely green when it comes to working with genuine leather. I've searched around locally and no one can really help me start from the beginning, which is to determine the best leather to use as a back patch for suspenders. The only recommendation I've been given is to maybe try a veg tan leather. My dilemma with that is this:

1) It's not dyed! Yes I do need a color that matches all six suspender colors, but I have no idea about dyeing leather. I can find a color I think might work on the internet, but it's just a picture. I still need to know what color dye to pick and how to dye it. Can someone please tell me if veg tan is really my only option to get the right color leather needed? I don't have the expertise to do what needs to be done with veg tan and no here seems to either or at least they don't want to help. Any recommendations on how to find more potential colors or someone to dye it for me because me dyeing it isn't an option?

2) As explained to me 2/3 oz veg tan is the lowest weight in that type but it still seems too thick for these suspenders. Would you agree? I need something that can be sewn on a sewing machine but not flimsy.

3) After I've found the right leather and color, I need it to be embossed. Can you please advise the best way to make this happen? People have mentioned laser engraving to me. I've also been told about stamps you can buy. Recommendations?

4) Lastly, I've been told that this is the process I need to follow to reach the end result of the actual back patch (assuming I go with veg tan) : once the leather is bought, have the shape clicked out, dye the shape, emboss/engrave the shape, then put a finish on it. Would you agree? Is the process pretty much the same if it's already dyed (click, emboss, finish)? As a side note, I had a die of the shape professionally made, but I do not have a clicker press.

It would be optimal if I can find an appropriate weight leather for suspenders that is already dyed to the right color and would emboss well. Please help!!!

Thank you!

C Pack

A few pictures of your current product will help get you answers.

If you need an out of the ordinary color that is not available otherwise, then veg tan is your best bet. That said, there are a LOT of colors of leather available, and certainly all common ones in pre-dyed leather.

2/3 oz is about as thin as veg tan gets for purchase, but other types are are available a bit thinner. Many of them can be a bit stretchy, tho.

A laser engraver could put your logo as well as cutting out the shape, but that's a pretty expensive option. If you end up using veg-tan, an arbor press and a stamp with your logo could work nicely. Otherwise, heat embossing is likely more cost effective, and can be done on many types of leather. Check here: http://lwleathers.com/products/leather-embossing

A clicker press is more or less a big fancy squeezing machine to apply pressure over a large area. Assuming that your patch is pretty small, you need a little not-so-fancy squeezing machine to apply pressure over a not-so-large area. I can't say for sure, but an arbor press with a few modifications might do the job. Somebody that knows more about dies might be able to help with that. The above-mentioned LW leathers also make dies, so that might be a good starting point.

Veg tan would need a finish, particularly if dyed. Garment leathers and some other types do not necessarily need any further finish (although some could benefit).

Many vendors are wiling to provide for free or for a reasonable price, sample packs. Check some of the vendors' banner ads on this website. They are also a good resource to ask for info about any leather specifics. If you want bigger ( but not too big ) pieces of leather to experiment with, Springfield leather will sell many of their leather in small quantities. http://springfieldleather.com/

Another option that might be cost-effective for you is having the pieces made and ready to use. That would eliminate your capital and labor expenses for those parts. Springfield offers that sort of thing on a limited basis, so it could be worth asking! http://springfieldleather.com/9/Manufacturing-Shop/

Hope that helps

Bill

Edited by billybopp

If you need an out of the ordinary color that is not available otherwise, then veg tan is your best bet. That said, there are a LOT of colors of leather available, and certainly all common ones in pre-dyed leather.

2/3 oz is about as thin as veg tan gets for purchase, but other types are are available a bit thinner. Many of them can be a bit stretchy, tho.

A laser engraver could put your logo as well as cutting out the shape, but that's a pretty expensive option. If you end up using veg-tan, an arbor press and a stamp with your logo could work nicely. Otherwise, heat embossing is likely more cost effective, and can be done on many types of leather. Check here: http://lwleathers.com/products/leather-embossing

A clicker press is more or less a big fancy squeezing machine to apply pressure over a large area. Assuming that your patch is pretty small, you need a little not-so-fancy squeezing machine to apply pressure over a not-so-large area. I can't say for sure, but an arbor press with a few modifications might do the job. Somebody that knows more about dies might be able to help with that. The above-mentioned LW leathers also make dies, so that might be a good starting point.

Veg tan would need a finish, particularly if dyed. Garment leathers and some other types do not necessarily need any further finish (although some could benefit).

Many vendors are wiling to provide for free or for a reasonable price, sample packs. Check some of the vendors' banner ads on this website. They are also a good resource to ask for info about any leather specifics. If you want bigger ( but not too big ) pieces of leather to experiment with, Springfield leather will sell many of their leather in small quantities. http://springfieldleather.com/

Another option that might be cost-effective for you is having the pieces made and ready to use. That would eliminate your capital and labor expenses for those parts. Springfield offers that sort of thing on a limited basis, so it could be worth asking! http://springfieldleather.com/9/Manufacturing-Shop/

Hope that helps

Bill

Thank you so much for the response!! I don't think the color is too out the ordinary. Here are some pics. I was thinking a tan to medium brown would work. These are pics I found off the internet. post-46869-0-03042500-1408630432_thumb.jpost-46869-0-11784300-1408630443_thumb.jpost-46869-0-33924300-1408630451_thumb.j

I've heard of people "rigging" an arbor press to do certain things. At the time I got my die and couldn't find anyone with a clicker press, I considered that but couldn't find anyone to help me rig it. As you can see from the brown suspenders above (those are mine) the back patch is really small. An arbor should work for both a stamp and the die. Any stamp companies you recommend?

Question - after the piece is clicked out, will the edges have to be finished whether it's dyed or not? I keep envisioning somewhat frayed edges because the back of some leather is suede-like

Springfield leather has been recommended to me three times now, and I did call but didn't get very far with help. I'm going to try them again.

Thanks!

CP

P.S. Here are all my suspenders colors, which I didn't think it would be too terribly hard to find a color for.

post-46869-0-92048300-1408631238_thumb.j

Ask to speak with Kevin at Springfield.

My only experience with pre-dyed leather is with garment and lining lamb and pig, but they cut cleanly with knife and scissors. The edges are good enough on what I have used have been dyed through, but again that is stuff that is probably thinner than you want to use. I'd suggest get some samples and experiment.

Bill

My only experience with pre-dyed leather is with garment and lining lamb and pig, but they cut cleanly with knife and scissors. The edges are good enough on what I have used have been dyed through, but again that is stuff that is probably thinner than you want to use. I'd suggest get some samples and experiment.

Bill

That's a good idea! Thank you!