This might not be the best place for this question, but I need some advice on using backgrounding tools. While this work is surrounding a letter, I need to improve for some floral carving as well. Thanks for any advice.

Randy

post-46116-0-05456700-1396986160_thumb.j

Randomizing the tool orientation will help disguise the regular pattern that happens. In some of the narrower and curved spaces, a smaller tool with the same texture to the surface will allow you to have few restraints on tool position. This is similar to the technique you'd use to smooth out tool marks while beveling, but over a large area instead of a line.

The good news is that you wouldn't need to start over, but just bash some irregularity into the backgrounded section. Just be careful not to hit too hard with a tool that has a smaller face, since it'll dig in deeper.

It's all about practice and getting familiar with how the leather behaves. Proper casing can make all the difference in the world, too.

Yep, 1) Leather MUCH drier than that, and 2) don't 'line up' the tool, just walk it

Thanks for the tips. I think it was too wet. I understand 'bash' so that's what I'll do. Maybe I can even it out some.

This is the way I was taught to do it almost fifty years ago by one of the most accomplished leather carvers I ever knew.

1. First of all, we were taught to bevel the background area down just like all the other lines. By having that beveled edge to place the side of your backgrounder against, you are way less likely to "accidently" stamp onto some place you don't want to.

2. Each area was begun by stamping all the way around the inside perimeter of the area, being extra careful to stay in the background area and to use the pointed end ( You do have a 104 backgrounder also, dont you ? ) to get into the sharp vee areas. Try to make this as even as possible so that you find it hard to tell one tool impression from the next. As Bob stated above, it is preferable to walk the backgrounder along,, both for speed and uniformity of impression.

3. Stamp in the remaining area, again by walking the stamp along, and striving for even, indistinguishable, impressions. You may need to turn the tool slightly so as to fill in a tapered area evenly. You may also need to go over the perimeter backgrounding previously done to match the texture more evenly.

Note - If you don't have a copy of Al Stohlman's "Craftool Tech Tips"...... by all means ....get one. It is only a 20 page book, but that 20 pages may be the the best value for your money, you will ever spend ! ! ! ! !

Wyoming Slick speaks the truth. Do it just like that and you will have no issues with doing the backgrounding on designs.

Wyoming Slick and others:

Thanks for all the tips. I will use your instructions on my next project. I have a 104 tool and a couple other backgrounders. I need to practice beveling too, but that's for another day. I will try to pick up the Stohlman book next time I am in the City.

Randy

WyomingSlick,

I picked the Tech-Tips book today. Thanks for the tip. I believe it will be well worth the money spent. I noticed that my backgrounding looks a lot like the "Wrong." I am going to practice this weekend.

Randy

Randy, one last tip, regardless which backgrounder you are using, whenever possible (as space provides) rotate the tool between your fingers as you fill in the area inside your perimeter. A little practice and this will become second nature and also help to blend in one impression to the next.

Bob