MikeG

Luberto Classic

Art, your old avatar had what looked like a Classic or No. 9. I haven't seen any information on this board pro or con. Thoughts? Thanks,

-- Mike

Hi Mike,

That's my ASE #9. Folks thought that was a picture of me, so I changed it.

Number_9.jpg

A wonderful machine for harness and belts, I hand crank it, but may put a motor on it someday. It has a jump foot needle feed and tracks absolutely straight. It does not have reverse, but just rotate the work 180 to lock off. That and the old Ferdinand 900 Bull are a couple of my favorites. The No. 9 is also my portable, works much better than a Boss, but it is a little hefty. The Classic is about the same function wise but is cosmetically a little nicer. I don't know if I would part with that much money for the Classic though. Also a No. 9 will not tire you out nearly as much as a Boss and is speed of light faster.

Pearson #6 or ASE #9 machines or Classics don't come up for sale often. Those that have them seldom part with them. Not so for the 6/6 which is supposed to be a clone of the Pearson, well it ain't. I do see used ones for sale now and then and bought one terribly cheap once (it even embarrassed me how cheap), it worked ok, but I tripled my money 3 or 4 months later when I unloaded it. I hadn't used it a lot but it was ok I guess. I like the No.9 better.

Art

Art, your old avatar had what looked like a Classic or No. 9. I haven't seen any information on this board pro or con. Thoughts? Thanks,

-- Mike

post-18-1199763262_thumb.jpg

Art, thanks for the reply. There's so many different options. I guess you need about 3 separate machines to get the light, medium, heavy, and portable options covered. Sounds like this would be a good one, tho.

Thanks,

-- Mike

Mike, I have an opinion, I'd like to hear Art's responce, to just to give you more to weigh in on. I use two mechines, Adler 105-64 and a s Singer 31-29. I found that depending on the different sizes of thread and needles the mechine can use, will determine if you need another mechine depending on the work you want to do.

I'd love to have a #9 by the way.

I found that most of the stuff I do I can get away with changing thread and needle and do most everything on the 105, for lighter stuff(soft leathers) I'll use the Singer. I'd like to move up to a harness stitcher but that's like saying I'd like different motorcycle, I may not need it but it would be nice to have.GH :cheers:

-- Mike

before he moved to MT from CT, I met Tony and his wife Ilia and bought a econosew from them - a lightweight table machine - the econosew i use for light stuff, the Boss I have was too burly adn the Singer 29-4 was too wimpy. Whilst trying the econosew, I spent a good deal of them with the Classic - and man - it is a kiler machine - really works well and is rock steady...with that said it is also expensive as hell and waay more machine that i need...with that said - if money was non object and space was available - I'd find a way to get one in my shop

I've never done business with 2 nicer people thatn the Luberto's, they are the best!!

my .02

steveb

Hi Mike, GH, et al,

I would never "trade up" to a harness stitcher from the 105; you need both. I don't have a lot of time to do leatherwork, maybe when I die; but right now I set machines up to do one thing. I seldom use the range that most machines can handle just because of setup time; I want to change thread and haul biscuits. I also have to contend with a better half that sews. I inherited a Singer 201 from my grandmother and was using it for some light work (or what I call light work), this was the 50th anniversary model with cabinet and every attachment Singer ever made. The wife starts using it for quilts (probably more what it was intended for) and I hear, "if you break that machine, I'll............". Ok, gives me an excuse to look for another machine ('till she commandeers it), and I like sewing machines and she knows it, some folks bring home cats or dogs (she'll do that), I bring home sewing and leatherworking machines (or have them delivered).

Never give up the machine you have unless it is unusable for the task (or there are other political considerations), get an additional machine to do the new task. The ideal setup doesn't exist, but a heavy stitcher, a medium duty machine, and a well made straight stitch home machine will pretty much cover you. Always keep an eye out for deals and buy when the price is ridiculously low, if it is broke, make sure you know how to fix it and where to get the parts, offer very very low and let them get you up a bit on price. I have 2 machines I bought new, I would still buy them new because anything comparable is about the same price, the rest of my machines were bought used and at very good prices.

If you are new to leather sewing machines, buy new and buy simple. A threaded straight needle machine is the best way to go in the range of 90% of the work you do. You can add more machines later, keeping your eye open for those deals I talked about earlier. Learn and understand every machine you buy, because ultimately, you the man, if it breaks, you're going to fix it, with maybe a little help from your friends at leatherworker.net.

Art

Mike, I have an opinion, I'd like to hear Art's responce, to just to give you more to weigh in on. I use two mechines, Adler 105-64 and a s Singer 31-29. I found that depending on the different sizes of thread and needles the mechine can use, will determine if you need another mechine depending on the work you want to do.

I'd love to have a #9 by the way.

I found that most of the stuff I do I can get away with changing thread and needle and do most everything on the 105, for lighter stuff(soft leathers) I'll use the Singer. I'd like to move up to a harness stitcher but that's like saying I'd like different motorcycle, I may not need it but it would be nice to have.GH :cheers: