equiss

Wanted! Left Handed Skiver

This question has been asked before, but for small detail work those of us that are left handed can't really use the right handed skivers effectively (or at least I can't). I have searched high and low asking all the large companies for anyone that can make a left handed skiver (talking the smaller hand held not the larger flat head) and can't find any. Does anyone have any leads to where a person could find one? There has to be one somewhere......:helpsmilie:

I asked that question a couple of years ago in school and was informed by the teacher that he had never come across one. Being right handed it has not been a big problem, except for around the fork and the sweep of the seat at the cantle when forming the ground seat, then I could definitely use one. I have looked and found nothing in a left handed skiver. Tandy and weaver both have what tandy calls a "super skiver", more like a cheese slicer, that can be used with either hand, I'm okay with it left handed but not with finish work. I see a lot of people using them so my lack of ability with it must be due to lack of practice.

Equiss,,, Check out Osborne Leather Tools at the top of the page.

They have what you are wanting..............

This question has been asked before, but for small detail work those of us that are left handed can't really use the right handed skivers effectively (or at least I can't). I have searched high and low asking all the large companies for anyone that can make a left handed skiver (talking the smaller hand held not the larger flat head) and can't find any. Does anyone have any leads to where a person could find one? There has to be one somewhere......:helpsmilie:

I just cut the blade end off & weld on the other end of the handle. I tig welded mine, but if you don't have a tig welder I figure solder would probably hold up fine.

NO way!! Osborne leather? Will check it out and order 10!! thank you, those that are right handed just really don't understand what a huge inconveniene it is to use a tool backwards! It just doesn't work - thanks again

Charlene

Luke, can you direct link it? I looked on the Osborne sight and only see the right handed version. If I read Equiss' request correctly, she's looking for a left handed Skife (osborne's name for it).

Equiss,

can you post a picture of what you have, but want left handed? I looked for skivers, and there are lots of different styles.