This mask was made for a client's former boss that rides and builds bobbers. His bike's name is "Rusty Mermaid" & has engraved scales on the tank. Here's the finsihed product of the "Rusty Mermaid" motorcycle mask.

post-35554-0-75288100-1356309897_thumb.j

post-35554-0-47547000-1356309904_thumb.j

post-35554-0-00712100-1356309911_thumb.j

Great job! Creativity at it's finest :)

I had no idea that stamp used on the scales comes so large! Nice work....lots of artistic ability there.

Awesome!! How does it connect in the back?

Looks great! How is it for breathability? I don't see any ventilation holes...

How is it for breathability? I don't see any ventilation holes...

That is my question also. The workmanship looks very good, but what percent of the exhaled air is being rebreathed? If the percentage is high you may find that you fall over asleep after a time. Not a good practice on a bike. I am not saying this will happen, just that it might without proper air echange.

I had a mask that was not properly vented and the heat from my breath would come out the top and fog my riding glasses! Not a good thing at high speed :(

That is REAL NICE! Looks FABULOUS! I'd like to have one of those.

(Oh, your mask looks good, too!) :}

Bill

I doubt you'd have any issues with fouled air on a bike. The air that hits you in the face is even less with a full face helmet and I never had any oxygen issues. Id be concerned more about it being smashed onto your face at highway speeds since theres nothing supporting it. Looks badass though, especially if you want to commit a stylish convenient store robbery :)

Edited by immiketoo

First off! Thanks for all the awesome feedback!

Awesome!! How does it connect in the back?

It connects with two 3 foot sections of durable black upholstery leather that's connected to the mask via a "Y" shaped piece of 4 to 5 oz. leather that's then riveted on. It stays on pretty dang well! The way I cut & stitched the nose part of the mask helps the mask stay in place & not slip. I guess I'll figure out another method if someone doesn't have a good sized sniffer for the mask to sit on.

Looks great! How is it for breathability? I don't see any ventilation holes...

The breath ability of the mask works out well. I made the nose piece to allow the mask to be supported by the bridge of the nose with a little help from the strapping to support some of the weight of the mask. I also did some wet forming with a mannequin head to form the leather to create somewhat of a "seal" to prevent fogging. You get enough air from the bottom of the mask. I currently don't have a motorcycle of my own, so I couldn't really test it on a motorcycle. I did get quite a few weird looks when I decide to test the mask to check the breath ability with my windows down in my car on the freeway. I was happy with it. I will be getting feedback with the client to check out his thoughts.

I doubt you'd have any issues with fouled air on a bike. The air that hits you in the face is even less with a full face helmet and I never had any oxygen issues. Id be concerned more about it being smashed onto your face at highway speeds since theres nothing supporting it. Looks badass though, especially if you want to commit a stylish convenient store robbery :)

Haha! Awesome! Found myself a new market!

nice love your work

Ive been thinking about this also, looks like you beat me to it. That thing is sweat!

Bad ass!

It looks fantastic but the breathability and fogging issues are of real concerns to me. I ride with a neoprene mask that has holes for both nose and mouth and I still get a lot of fogging in my glasses. I've even tried the no fog stuff and the old trick of spitting on the lenses, neither has helped much and it gets even worse at stop lights. The whole purpose of a mask is keeping your face warm on those cold days. Just so happens those are the same days that glasses or goggles fog very easily. I also have a weird thing about breathing hot recycled air, like having a blanket over my head or even laying face to face with my wife at night. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this issue. As nice as it looks, for these 2 reasons I would never wear that mask.

Nice work!

Very nice work. I like the lettering alot. As far as face mask to keep warm for riding, I prefer to grow my own.

Heyyyy....come on, its made for a Mermaid !!! Duhhhh they dont breath with their mouth.....anybody knows that !!!!

If I would ride around here in my woods with a mask on a bike....the first State trooper would shoot me off my scooter on site....hehehe....but of course I am not a Mermaid....so who knows....????? Wonder how he keeps his fish tail from getting into his chain....*&^%$#$%^&*(