Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Lizard Inlay Knife Sheath

Well just finished one of a couple of sheaths I am working on for a buddy.

This is HO leather, the black is vinegaroon, inlay is olive green lizard. Oiled, sno-seal, then a couple light coats of neat-lac.

The top portion with the inlay is two layers of 5oz, the welt (think its called that lol) is 5oz as well, the back with the belt loop is 8oz doubled over. Alot of leather for this one. To make it a little easier to punch thru the leather with my awl and because the one awl that I have that is the correct sized width wise is not long enough to effectively punch thru all that leather I assembled the inlay portion and the welt and punched my holes, then assembled the complete sheath and repunched the holes. I had to go back thru the back side just to ensure the holes were wide enough on the reverse side. Kind of a pain in the butt however it helped alot with the final stitching.

Thread is 6 cord linen dyed black.

Enjoy, any constructive criticism welcome.

sheath inlay 1.jpg

sheath inlay 2.jpg

sheath inlay 3.jpg

sheath inlay 4.jpg

post-5781-127041477157_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127041477695_thumb.jpg

post-5781-127041479745_thumb.jpg

post-5781-12704149022_thumb.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

A fine looking sheath.........your Buddy should be very pleased.

Thanks Luke, yeah he should be.

Looks good brother.Dave

beautiful work....soooooo well finished....i cant imagine trying to use an awl and then sewing something this thick....love the inlay

Thanks for the compliments guys and gals.

Yeah Leatheroo I dont know how the saddle makers who sew by hand to it. Its a challenge for me on just this little stuff.

Really nice colour!

Great looking work.....I'm partial to really well done inlay work. Mike

Katsass I cant remember but where do you post your work at? I know alot of the stuff you do is really good but dont recall where you like to show it off at and would like to take a look again.

Well just finished one of a couple of sheaths I am working on for a buddy.

This is HO leather, the black is vinegaroon, inlay is olive green lizard. Oiled, sno-seal, then a couple light coats of neat-lac.

The top portion with the inlay is two layers of 5oz, the welt (think its called that lol) is 5oz as well, the back with the belt loop is 8oz doubled over. Alot of leather for this one. To make it a little easier to punch thru the leather with my awl and because the one awl that I have that is the correct sized width wise is not long enough to effectively punch thru all that leather I assembled the inlay portion and the welt and punched my holes, then assembled the complete sheath and repunched the holes. I had to go back thru the back side just to ensure the holes were wide enough on the reverse side. Kind of a pain in the butt however it helped alot with the final stitching.

Thread is 6 cord linen dyed black.

Enjoy, any constructive criticism welcome.

Wow. You are indeed a man of great patience to hand stitch a piece like that. ...and the stitches are so close together. Incredible work! Please tell me how much time you have in something like this?

Rob

Its hard to say since I didnt keep complete track of time.

I would say it took a little while longer then it should since I had to design it from scratch basically.

From start of design to final coat of finish and buff I would say I had a good 5 or 6 hours of steady work involved with a good portion of that being the stitching since I took longer with this one. This is not counting time to dry and oil and stuff that you need to let sit overnight for.

I would ask Dave (DCKNIVES) who posted farther up how long he takes. He may take better track of time and has been doing this far longer then I have and serves a wider clientele.

I would like to add that the stitching is about as close as I would risk going. With the 8 spi you have to be very careful with awl blade angle. If you do it right theres about and 1/8" clearance between holes, if not they can be right next to each other from awl point to point. I think next time I do something like this I will keep the 8spi on the inlay and try 7 and see how that looks.

Edited by MADMAX22

Katsass I cant remember but where do you post your work at? I know alot of the stuff you do is really good but dont recall where you like to show it off at and would like to take a look again.

MAX, sorry, I didn't see this earlier. I don't show too much of my stuff, it's mostly unadorned, working holsters. No fancy tooling....don't get much call for that. I show the stuff that's 'different' IMO. Here's a pic of a flyer of ine with a few things that may be of interest. Mike

poster2.jpg

Understood and thanks Mike,