Leatherpownder

3Rd & 4Th Pass On A Pineapple Knot

Thank you very much for taking time to make those pics. I think it will help a great deal.

I apologize for asking what is probably a very stupid question...but can you please tell me where your pics begin? I don't see an under 2-x anywhere at the end of the second pass. I'm sure it is probably something I am doing wrong...

Edit: Did you start the 3rd and 4th passes at the side opposite of the original standing end? If so, is that how you were able to get those passes centered so there wasn't one row of the first color on one end and three on the other side?

Edited by TXAG

Wow Bret, Great job & I know I'm not the only one who appreciates all the work you put into it. Merry Christmas. Buck

Used different color to show the passes. Where the lighter color starts is just a continuation of the knot and if you were using a longer string you would continue there as many passes as it takes to fill the knot.

Wow, very cool. So you add a pass either above or below another one - this is done a bit different than the video I saw. Interesting. So my original guess of doing the two black passes first, then the two other color passes was right. Just a note for TXAG - I think this is a smaller knot than the one you were originally looking at, but the theory is the same I'm sure. If I am understanding correctly looking at this - the photos start at the beginning of the 3rd pass. And you come in following the beginning of the 2nd pass to its right - so not following the standing string, but following the string NEXT to the standing string that is the beginning of the 2nd pass - correct?

Merry Christmas to YOU!

What a great gift to the forum. Very clear and well photographed.

You have become an respected and honored member here.

Thank you

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Would it be easier to do it on a mandrel with nails?

I've gotten away from using pins of any sort...too much of a PITA.

I can usually see the parallels and where to split fine...it's just hard for me to know exactly where to begin.

Can you tell now? You are following the string that is next to the standing string - i.e. the beginning of the 2nd pass I think.

Yeah, I am going to try it again in a minute...last night, I pulled out all the last attempt at a 3rd and 4th pass I made so that I'm back to a completed 2-pass knot...hopefully, I'll get it right this time...

Edit: I think I finally got it -- if so, I'll post pics later...:) (the first two half cycles on new passes are hardest for me...)

Edited by TXAG

Yay! Why does this knot remind me of "It takes a village..." :spoton:

To all, once you get the basic concept of the 2 pass Pineapple almost all other herringbone pattern knots are similar even when tied with mutable strings. Glad it helped.

Yay! Why does this knot remind me of "It takes a village..." :spoton:

I know...it does seem like that. Or it is possible I am just the village idiot. Haha

I'm almost finished with the fourth pass and I have 5 leads of the dark color at the bottom and only 3 leads at the top. I do not know how to get the lighter passes centered. Very frustrating.

Edited by TXAG

Don't know what the procedure is to get a post pinned, but this is a great candidate. Buck

Nice work Bret. Can I put this into a pdf doc and repost it here and on facebook?

Brian...

I agree with bucksnort would love to have that one pinned so that have it as a quick reference when needed, & its one that would help all that need help in the future. Good job on it.

Thank you Bret for allowing me to pdf this great tutorial and post it here. All acknowledgements are contained within the document properties.

Download the document here,

http://khww.net/tutorials/3and4-PassPKTutorial.pdf

Brian...

Bret. Are you going to the Sheridan Show this year?

Brian...

I think I will be going this coming year. This'll be my very first visit there. I was hoping to meet you in person. If ya do come out. Let me know.

Brian...

TXAG, I suspect the problem is where you are coming in to begin the 3rd pass (1st pass of the other color). Maybe if you post a photo of where you are starting that third pass (new color) someone could advise you?

Great presentation Leatherpownder. Thank you.

Brian you may want to check your link. It doesnt seem to be working.

TXAG, I suspect the problem is where you are coming in to begin the 3rd pass (1st pass of the other color). Maybe if you post a photo of where you are starting that third pass (new color) someone could advise you?

Nah...I understand where to begin the passes now...and when I look at the pics of the knots again, it appears they are not centered either.

I read more in one of the Hought books the other day and she mentioned a "reversed second interweave"...where she flips the knot around 180 degrees and begins it from the other side, specifically to address that problem.

I do not know how to apply that fix to this knot though...maybe the 3rd and 4th passes need to be started on the other side the same way.