Howdy,

I thought I would post this separate in case it gets moved later. I hope this is O.K.

I just finished stitching this one tonight. When I used the pocket clip, the knife kept working its way out of my pocket so it is going on my belt instead. I molded the sheath tight enough that I don't have to worry about losing it any more.

The sheath is about 8 ounce leather, basket stamped, and saddle stitched. The loop is run through slots in the flap and held with a chicago screw. It is finished with Eco Flo All In One Desert Tan.

Please critique. I want to improve my work.

Thanks,

Tim

108_0861.JPG

108_0864.JPG

108_0863.JPG

post-6115-1249889813_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1249890025_thumb.jpg

post-6115-1249890174_thumb.jpg

Really a sweet looking holster style sheath.

The desert tan looks nice too.

The cutting line on the left is not totally straight but not really too disturbing either but if you aim for perfection that's one point to fix.

Then again my girlfriend tells me that she likes it with details that let the ordinary people know that it is handicraft and not machine made leather.

Tom

Thank you,

Its the little things like that I'm trying to work on Tom.

Tim

Very nice Tim,

Creative and well done.

I like it a lot.

Dave

Tim,

I like the construction design, quality leather weight and workmanship. Your color choice (Desert Tan) is good also. I've not used any of the Eco-Flo finishes todate but I'm going try them soon. Good job on the edges and stitching. I agree with Tom's "girlfriend" on the minor flaws. They show handcrafting as long as they don't jump out and grab the recipient. We all start there though.

My $0.02 worth:

Basketweave & Camouflage tools seem to large for the size of the project. Maybe try smaller ones on your next project this size.

The basketweave on the strap gets busy. Try using a small Camouflage or border tool top and bottom and leaving the middle open and see what you think of it.

Basket weaving the back is nice but rarely shows. It's a good place to set your maker's mark (ID).

Over all good job. Keep toolin' then carving! :cheers:

John aka Indy

Howdy,

I thought I would post this separate in case it gets moved later. I hope this is O.K.

I just finished stitching this one tonight. When I used the pocket clip, the knife kept working its way out of my pocket so it is going on my belt instead. I molded the sheath tight enough that I don't have to worry about losing it any more.

The sheath is about 8 ounce leather, basket stamped, and saddle stitched. The loop is run through slots in the flap and held with a chicago screw. It is finished with Eco Flo All In One Desert Tan.

Please critique. I want to improve my work.

Thanks,

Tim

108_0861.JPG

108_0864.JPG

108_0863.JPG

Very nice! Do you mind sharing that tracing pattern? I will be glad to share some of mine if you are in need of one. You can email files to the email address below or post it.

Tim, looks very good....was it intended for left side carry?

indypbear,

Yes, I need more tools. Don't we all? :)

I tried acouple of different straps and liked the straight basket best. The next one I'll probably do different.

wwwrmbbladescom,

e-mail on the way. If anyone else wants a copy, just ask.

Rayban,

I'm right handed, and it works well strong side or crossdraw. I drew it out several different ways. Heres a picture of the knife in the sheath.

108_0857.JPG

I drew it out several ways. I figured out how I wanted the knife presented , and thought I could do a better job fitting it with the welt on the blade side. It's not conventional, but I like it.

Once again Thanks for the critiques.

Tim

post-6115-1250067745_thumb.jpg

Hi Tim, like the style and the execution. Very good stitching, better than a lot that I see on many projects. I agree that the use of the smaller basketweave might fit the project a little better but that is a personnal decision. If you (or a client) likes it .... keep it. Since you are doing knife sheaths that are a little different, here is one that I played with about a year ago. One hand opener for a lock-back. I had seen one similar that was comercially made back in the 60's and thought I'd play with the design. This was a prototype and I never went any further. Keep up the good work. Mike

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

Katsass,

I just saw someone yesterday wearing something very similar. He was wearing it in the center of his back and had a strap through the next belt loop to hold it in place when the knife is drawn.

Tim

Katsass,

I just saw someone yesterday wearing something very similar. He was wearing it in the center of his back and had a strap through the next belt loop to hold it in place when the knife is drawn.

Tim

That would be the most logical place to wear this sort of thing. You sure wouldn't want to wear it anywhere that the knife tip could 'make an impression' on you as you draw it ---- like in front. ESPECIALLY if you have a bit of 'do lap' (do lap over your belt) like I have earned and paid for with the purchases of exotic brews. This is just held firm with a wide belt, seems to work pretty well, even with a reasonably tight blade. Mike