mmcoon

Foil Stamping With Heat Embosser?

No problem to do that, you'll need some foil and maybe a temperature controller if you don't already have that. There are several bookbinding forums and YouTube videos that already explain this in detail, much better than would be explained in a few sentences here. Also actual trial and error, helps. Google and you'll find your answer.

The price is obviously quite low, so maybe it's too good to be true? There are several similar ones on ebay as well....

I will be using it to stamp leather for handbags, so I need something high quality...

Yes. I purchased that exact machine for $209 delivered on eBay. It's unsafe garbage.

I just uploaded pics to my post about the machine here — http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=63096&p=416089

Yes. I purchased that exact machine for $209 delivered on eBay. It's unsafe garbage.

I just uploaded pics to my post about the machine here — http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=63096&p=416089

Wow! Yes, looks awful! Thanks for sharing!

I guess I should look for a used Kingsley on ebay then...

Here is a link with some valuable info if you are going to buy a hot foil press. http://www.ebay.com/gds/BUYING-A-HOT-STAMP-MACHINE-/10000000000751965/g.html

I picked up a "Goldmark" press a few months ago for about $250. Had only been demonstrated. Came with several rolls of foil, several sets of type, all accessories, box full of pencils, napkins, business cards. Turns out it is a Howard press, just re-labeled. Youngest son had a Kingsley press and printed business cards and such while in jr and sr high school. Gave it away because no one was using it, then last year decided to get one again to be able to print my makers mark on chrome tanned leather.

So check all your local sources of second hand goods to see what is out there. Some good deals. Note that Kingsley is no longer in this business, so be cautious, make sure it is in good working order before you pay.

Tom

if you want to do it right try a kwikprint one.....

http://www.kwik-print.com

Here is a link with some valuable info if you are going to buy a hot foil press. http://www.ebay.com/gds/BUYING-A-HOT-STAMP-MACHINE-/10000000000751965/g.html

I picked up a "Goldmark" press a few months ago for about $250. Had only been demonstrated. Came with several rolls of foil, several sets of type, all accessories, box full of pencils, napkins, business cards. Turns out it is a Howard press, just re-labeled. Youngest son had a Kingsley press and printed business cards and such while in jr and sr high school. Gave it away because no one was using it, then last year decided to get one again to be able to print my makers mark on chrome tanned leather.

So check all your local sources of second hand goods to see what is out there. Some good deals. Note that Kingsley is no longer in this business, so be cautious, make sure it is in good working order before you pay.

Tom

Thanks for the info!

Are you happy with the Goldmark/Howard unit?

The Howard press is very similar to the Kingsley we used to have. This one came with more accessories. Has a type box about 2.5" x 3.5". Also has a self centering type box that holds 2 lines of type. It is handier for quick setups. Link

I'm happy with it. Need to practice some more with various leathers. I was trying to stamp gold on black pigskin. Wasn't as clear as I wanted and was dropping foil bits near the type that had to be brushed off. Ran out of time and patience, so left it for another time. The leather is stiff and hard with lots of character. Supposedly, you hold the leather where you want to stamp it (guide, etc.) and press the hot type into it for several seconds with no foil to give a good bed for the foil. Then stick a piece of foil in and give it a fairly quick press, very little dwell time. I think my temperature may have been too low so need to try a again, see what dwell time, temperature, and pre-stamp treatment work the best. I used if on 3-4 oz veg tan with no problems.

A separate point of discussion, you can have photoengravers or CNC people make plates mounted on a block so you can repeat the same setup later without having to reset all your type. Handy for stamps that you will be using over and over. Usually not too expensive.

Tom

I have one of those cheap and chearful hot foil machines, which I picked up in good second hand condition. It will hot foils leather key-rings ok, but I wouldn't ask it to do much more than that.

I was very fortunate to pick up an old Dut 21 hot foil machine for £10 about a month ago, but haven't had too much free time to really set it up.

Usual story, too much work, not enough time. Really want it up and running by July though.

Just to add, I've been practicing using photopolymer plate to make dies. They a not too bad for a short run of imprints, but obvioysly don't have the durability of the metal dies.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

I have used those cheap machines in the past and have had great results. It took a lot of trial and error on scrap leathers. writing kiss time, cooling time and temperature. The first thing I would suggest is to buy some better foil. It probably came with a real crappy one and makes it harder.