electrathon

custom shapped round knife

A few months ago someone posted a pic of a custom round knife. There was a gridded paper showing the size of it. The front of the knife was bobed off and rest was more conventionally shaped. I have looked and can not find it. If someone can please point me tword it I would be gratefull.

Aaron

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...ic=4254&hl=

Maybe this was what you were referring to. For some reson I can't view the Pics but it was posted by Arts.

Barra

I can't see 'em either, Barra. Nice knife though!

That was me. Here are the pictures.

ArtS

Head_Knife.jpg

HK1.jpg

HK2.jpg

HK3.jpg

HK4.jpg

HK6.jpg

HK7.jpg

post-195-1221775795_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775810_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775821_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775838_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775858_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775868_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221775885_thumb.jpg

Yes, that was it. No wonder why I could not find it! I did see that post but the pics seemed to have disappeared into the bowels of the internet.

I'll cut one out and see how I like it. I almost thing the handle needs the thin out and continue forward onto the thumb piece. That way the web of your thumb and index finger would not feel the back of the knife pushing in. Maybe I will make one both ways and go from there.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

I look forward to seeing it Aaron. I really like mine.

ArtS

It took me a little while but I got it cut out on the plasma table. I cut two, that way I can mess one of them up and not feel bad. The other two in the picture are ones that I had started a while ago and got finished while contemplating this design. Hope to get handles on them in the next week or two. The metal used was an old hand saw blade. High quality carbon steed and there is no need to temper it after the knife is shaped.

Aaron

knife_10_5_08.JPG

post-2349-1223227935_thumb.jpg

So, you don't think that the temperature from the plasmacutter ruined the tempering of the steel?

So, you don't think that the temperature from the plasmacutter ruined the tempering of the steel?

The cutter is set to move pretty fast, as the metal is thin. The ones posted have not been touched since they were cut. You can see the discolorization along the edge of the cut, only about 1/16th of an inch thick. I will "sharpen" the cutting edge back past the discolorization to get past the softened area.

Looks good Aaron. I'm looking forward to seeing them finished.

Art

Bump....

I'm hoping for an update. I would like to know how you fared with these.

I like the handle design as well.

Allen

Bump....

I'm hoping for an update. I would like to know how you fared with these.

I like the handle design as well.

Allen

I have been running around doing other things instead of finishing this project like I should have. I have the handles attached to the knife but I have not yet had time to "shape" them and sharpen the knife. So far it seems to "fit" my hand well.

Aaron

knife_11_18_08.JPG

post-2349-1227156707_thumb.jpg

What alloy and heat treat are you using?

I don't really have an answer on this. It was an old handsaw blade I got at a yard sale. Usually old saw blades that show a little dis-coloring are relitively good quality. I cut it fast on the plasma table and got a very small area of blue along the line. I sharpened past the line to get into the hardened area of the steel. It sharpened up well and does hold an edge. As a way for a small time knife maker to make a very thin knife, this works well.

round knife.jpg

post-2349-127165129074_thumb.jpg

Nice knife. I have a question about the crooked handle knives. It looks like you can only cut useing one end of the blade. If you try to use the other end it looks like you couldn't hold it very well. How do they feel and work ?

John

Nice knife. I have a question about the crooked handle knives. It looks like you can only cut useing one end of the blade. If you try to use the other end it looks like you couldn't hold it very well. How do they feel and work ?

John

You are correct, you only use one end of the blade. I guess I would relate this to using a double bladed ax or a single blade ax. Also similar to thr razors of the old days that had a sharp edge on both sides. No need for the other side, just change (sharpen) the blade.

Aaron