unc101

Sewing Machine for Hockey Skates

Hi Gang, complete newbie here. I’m trying to customize few hockey skates with some ballistic nylon and synthetic leather of 3mm on top of a hockey skate, plus a felt tongue. After some searching came into conclusion I need a shoe patcher for this type of work and very heavy duty one. I found a local guy, 2 hour drive form me, who has the Singer 29K51 with full treadle in good condition for $350 CND. My main concern is will it be able to handle dense felt material up to ½” thickness. Do these older machines like Adler 30-10 or 29K able to handle such thick materials, and most importantly how well the stitch will look, it’s for cosmetic purpose so it can’t look crooked. I don’t want to drive all the way to find out it will not handle it.

He says the machine has been stored with full cover for one year, but it’s fully functional and needs no servicing. Is this considered a good price for this machine? Will it handle my needs? Is there any way to modify this one or any other low budget machine to handle thicker material up to ½” or even ¾” by raising the foot somehow or any other modification?

Anything else you can recommend in the $400 budget that will do the job?

What are the major problems with these machine and if I do drive out there. What things I should look for, or that fails the most?

Any other input would be very helpful,

Please respond ASAP, because I’m afraid he might sell it quickly, since he says it’s a $600 - $800 machine.

Cheers

unc101.... Make the drive! take with you what you need to sew, then you will know if it will work.

I do know that some of the Adler patch machines use a long needle, that might be what you have to get.

Keep checking back on the fourm or send" Art " a pm for help to your questions..

That's the problem, I want to be prepared with enough info, so that even if I drive and it can’t handle the material, but one day later I'll find out that I could have bought it and made some kind of modification which would have worked for 1/2", it will be a big shame. I have no clue how sewing machines work and if simply a longer needle is the answer. also driving means need to get a Van for rent and gas money is also additional cost, so if I drive I need to be certain I'm buying it or the budget for my next one will shrink by about $120 bucks.

Cheers

yes to all of that... wait for Art he might be able to help you out.

First thing, the 29 in any flavor is not going to sew 1/2 inch material well. I have never tried so I don't know for sure if it can be modified. The price however is very good for that machine. I would find a local shoe repairer and get his opinion of how to do that job. Half-inch is considerable thickness and those machines weren't made for it.

Art

Hi Gang, complete newbie here. I’m trying to customize few hockey skates with some ballistic nylon and synthetic leather of 3mm on top of a hockey skate, plus a felt tongue. After some searching came into conclusion I need a shoe patcher for this type of work and very heavy duty one. I found a local guy, 2 hour drive form me, who has the Singer 29K51 with full treadle in good condition for $350 CND. My main concern is will it be able to handle dense felt material up to ½” thickness. Do these older machines like Adler 30-10 or 29K able to handle such thick materials, and most importantly how well the stitch will look, it’s for cosmetic purpose so it can’t look crooked. I don’t want to drive all the way to find out it will not handle it.

He says the machine has been stored with full cover for one year, but it’s fully functional and needs no servicing. Is this considered a good price for this machine? Will it handle my needs? Is there any way to modify this one or any other low budget machine to handle thicker material up to ½” or even ¾” by raising the foot somehow or any other modification?

Anything else you can recommend in the $400 budget that will do the job?

What are the major problems with these machine and if I do drive out there. What things I should look for, or that fails the most?

Any other input would be very helpful,

Please respond ASAP, because I’m afraid he might sell it quickly, since he says it’s a $600 - $800 machine.

Cheers

Hey I have a 29 and it won't sew 1/2". The presser foot maybe lifts that high. 3/8 felt may be do-able... I've sewn about 11-12oz total weight with the machine, and put a decortive stitch in 11oz before with it... nice clean stitch, easy machine to work on.Hey I have a 29 and it won't sew 1/2". The presser foot maybe lifts that high. 3/8 felt may be do-able... I've sewn about 11-12oz total weight with the machine, and put a decortive stitch in 11oz before with it... nice clean stitch, easy machine to work on.

I use a 29K58. . . most you will get is 3/8". Stitching is nice. Not sure if you can modify. I paid $350 for mine used and in good condition 5 years ago. . .price seems good.

What if the felt is slightly pressed in, I mean when I fold it it’s at 1/2" but if pressed hard it might be less, any chance some of you 29k owners can try 1/2" folded leather or something dense and post the results, what if it's done very slow will that effect the crooked stitching pattern?

Also what would be my next move as far as looking for a different machine which will handle it up to 1/2"

All my local shoe guys use 29k and non want to try it on their machine.

Cheers

What if the felt is slightly pressed in, I mean when I fold it it’s at 1/2" but if pressed hard it might be less, any chance some of you 29k owners can try 1/2" folded leather or something dense and post the results, what if it's done very slow will that effect the crooked stitching pattern?

Also what would be my next move as far as looking for a different machine which will handle it up to 1/2"

All my local shoe guys use 29k and non want to try it on their machine.

Why did the local guys say they would not try?

Something to think about.. The Patch machine do'snt have feed dogs, that is what you need to get thick material to feed

thru the machine. you might have to look around for a cylinder arm machine. In your town look for industrial sewing machines for sale to see if any will work for you..

I finally found a machine that will do the job, my local hockey shop repair guy has Adler 30-70, the problem is it’s very expensive and every repair he does is $20+

Another problem is it’s only good for stitching boots or skates, if I need to stitch felt tongue which is flat mostly, it’s not very comfortable for edge stitching. So I think I'm going to need two machines to get the job done properly.

Which brings me to another question:

Can anyone tell me that type of Pfaff machines are used in this video, it starts at about 1:30 minutes.

One is s post type machine another one I have no clue, but more importantly there is a function they show which cuts the edge of the skate very precisely, is that a separate machine or is it some type of clip on knife adjustment that can be added to a regular sewing machine?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Forget the 29. While I understand that there were heavy-duty versions made, your chance of finding one of those is one out of a bazillion. If you managed to cram your material into under the foot of a normal 29, you'd stand a pretty good chance of damaging it.

I got to tell you, $20 (minimum anyway) from the repair shop doesn't sound like much for what you'd be asking. Plus, he will have the equipment to get it right. If it's something you're going to do regularly, you might cut a lower deal with the shop owner, and you can build his charge into your pricing.

Bill

Better late than never. I had some biker sissy bar luggage with padding between Cordura layers and it was a little less than 1/2 inch in thickness. It could be squeezed down but it was a real pain in the butt to work with. My 29K60 was not really suitable to this kind of job.

:eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty: