Tejas

Robust Patterning Material

I've just started sewing leather and have been struggling with patterning material for a bag. I've been using brown contractor paper that comes in 35"wide rolls. I think I'd prefer something in sheets that is more ridged.

Poster board, pallet liners from a feed store, cold drink and beer boxes, Frozzen pizza boxes all work fine. Patterns that i make and want to use more than once or twice i glue two pieces of the boxes togeather and then cut the pattern out.

Edited by dirtclod

I go to the local art supply store and buy those sheets of pressed cardboard for 50 cents each or 69 cents each. They come in 'picture sizes' like 8x12, 11x18, 20x24 etc etc. If I want a more permanent pattern, I go to hardboard.

I purchased some thin 12" x15" plastic "cutting boards" from Wallmarts for +- $6. They cut easily with a scissors or a punch and will last.

Cya!

Bob

I use Bontex, the stiffening material sold by most of the leather supply companies. It's kind of manila folder material on steroids and it holds up well over time. And it's convenient, because I always like to have some around for leatherwork anyway. It's cheap, around $12 for 16 square feet if I remember correctly.

I use wallpaper lines its available in 170gram weights and I find this lasts well

Pallet liners from feed stores are my go to source. They are free and come in big 4x4 sheets

i reuse old office folders. the heavy manila ones. They aren't very large but they are very stiff and free is awesome.

I use a lot of the same folders. They work well. X-ray film is great too.

I would have to suggest www.blackriverlaser.com They make sturdy acrylic templates at a reasonable price.

where do you find xray film thats a great idea

I have a bunch that was over exposed I got from the MRI place. Vets may let you hve old films. The HIPA laws make the Dr afraid to let you have ones that someone can identiy.

I have a bunch that was over exposed I got from the MRI place. Vets may let you hve old films. The HIPA laws make the Dr afraid to let you have ones that someone can identiy.

Yeah... I've spent a decade in hospital management/compliance work and I think just about any larger institution is going to shy away from handing over even innocent, unlabeled films with a 'better safe than sorry' policy about it. I'd think smaller practices/diagnostic labs and dentist's offices or vets like you suggest would probably be a better bet for getting them to part with some. Even so, the penalties for HIPAA violations are steep enough that most places aren't going to want to do anything that could even remotely be perceived as a potential violation.

Just a hunch but you may want to contact the suppliers and see if they have any expired unexposed film.

Cya

Bob

I make a lot of patterns while rewraping leather steering wheels and I buy a large and think poster board from Hobby Lobby for about $7 each. The stuff is about 3/32" thick and cuts well. I dont have a whole one to measure but just guessing id say they are 30"x42" or so. Ive never heard of pallet liners but I will be making a visit to a feed store to follow up on FREE stuff!

I buy 14 X 22 poster board sheets from office max, You get 8 sheets in a pac. I think thy run about $.50 - $1 a sheet. works great, I I want permanent templates, I cut them put of 1/8 - 1/4 Plexiglass\polycarbonate clear plastic sheets (Try Home Depot where they sell replacement window glass. A bit spendy, but it cuts great with a band saw and you can finish up rough edges by sanding.

To add to this.. I can't stand when the pattern moves on me.. and it does it ALL the time.. I've experimented with small weights on the patter, but it still moved..

I was messing around in the garage and found some old, really fine sandpaper.. like 320 grit or more.. finishing sand paper.. and I glued it to the back of my pattern, and BOOYAH!! No more movement.. I just press down with my hand like normal and the pattern doesn't move at all.. AHHH, the simple pleasures!!

I used Tandy's bag stiffener. If I have a pattern that I'm going to use quite a bit, I get Black River Laser to make it for me.