Tae

Scrabble board

Hello,

I made this Scrabble board for my friend as a wedding gift.

I mounted it on mfd and installed a 6" lazy susan at the bottom.

I also made tile from veg tan leather.

It's a bit sloppy, but it was fun!

Tae

IMG_0709.jpg

post-5327-1214896799_thumb.jpg

excellent work, first one of is kind that i have seen

Good looking board! Nice idea for weddingpresent, whenever they have an argue they can settle it over a game;-)

I'd like to do something in leather for my friends wedding but no time to do it, well they got me as wedding photographer for free anyways but not as fun for me.

Nice job!

Tom

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Hey Tom that is pretty cool. I can tell I do not think outside the box enough I am caught in my saddle and tack modes and don't often see that leather can be used for all kinds of great things like your Scrabble board. Great stuff!

Nice! I've done quite a few game boards, but it never occurred to me to try a Scrabble game. And that lazy susan is a nice touch!

Kate

Thanks!

By the way, on the lazy susan, I ended up putting some leather on the bottom so it won't scratch and slide easily. The mfd was the cheapest solution, but I think I will find a nice wooden frame for my next one.

Originally, I had put super sheen on the borders and stained it with antique stain, but the stain had bleed through from the side of the cuts. I ended up mixing some cova colors to touch it up. Is there a way of preventing this?

cheers,

Tae

By the way, on the lazy susan, I ended up putting some leather on the bottom so it won't scratch and slide easily. The mfd was the cheapest solution, but I think I will find a nice wooden frame for my next one.

I can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like you wrapped the leather around a piece of MDF...(?) That works pretty well if you want to go frameless, or make a leather frame to go around it. Even if you do use a frame MDF still makes a good backing for the surface. (It's very smooth and rigid, and doesn't seem to warp very easily.) Then place the surface and the backing in the frame, like this one...

stain03_400.jpg

Originally, I had put super sheen on the borders and stained it with antique stain, but the stain had bleed through from the side of the cuts. I ended up mixing some cova colors to touch it up. Is there a way of preventing this?

You can try more coats of shene, as perhaps it wasn't completely covering the stain. Or you may try spraying the shene on with a sprayer, which would help it get into the depressions better.

Kate

post-7-1215019956_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your reply Kate. For this one I made the leather board slightly larger than the mdf piece and cut it flush.

For the next one, I'm thinking of finding myself a square punch or making one by grinding an aluminum pipe from osh. With this, I'll punch out the squares and put another layer on the bottom dyed differently. I suppose I can glue cardboard to the leather when I'm punching out since the borders are pretty thin and will not hold shape without some support. I guess this is all theory until I put my round knife on some leather.

I'd be interested in seeing how that comes out. Punching out the squares seems less tedious than all the backgrounding you did on this one, and what you put underneath could really make for a nice touch. What weight of leather are you using?

Kate

For the next one, I'm thinking of finding myself a square punch or making one by grinding an aluminum pipe from osh. With this, I'll punch out the squares and put another layer on the bottom dyed differently. I suppose I can glue cardboard to the leather when I'm punching out since the borders are pretty thin and will not hold shape without some support. I guess this is all theory until I put my round knife on some leather.

I love this idea, Scrabble is by far one of my favourite board games. I might just try one of these one day.

Great idea and great result, congrats