dustin29

border tooling

When stamping a basketweave, do you put the border on first or after the basketweave?

i run my basketweave close to where i will put the border.

then do the border.

i run my basketweave close to where i will put the border.

then do the border.

Thanks Luke, much appreciated!

Thanks Luke, much appreciated!

A couple of thoughts:

As you may know, every border stamp requires it's own angle. I've made a leather template with this angle for every border stamp so i can most easily start my course of stamping. Second, i 've use a grinder to shave off a second and third stamp to match every full border stamp that i have. The first grind is to flatten the stamp off at the shaft at a 45 degree angle and the second grind is to flatten the stamp at the angle to match the stamping angle. Thus, i can easily run my border stamps fairly close to any edge without tipping the stamp and possible going over the edge.

The selection of the inside border stamp then is carfully selected to ensure that it reaches every mark left by my border stamping.

The results ensure that no excess marks are left anywhere...

Hope this helps, Curmudgeon

oops, an error: The one stamp is flattened at a 90 degree angle, the second one to match the border stamp angle. Sorry 'bout that. Curmudgeon

A couple of thoughts:

As you may know, every border stamp requires it's own angle. I've made a leather template with this angle for every border stamp so i can most easily start my course of stamping. Second, i 've use a grinder to shave off a second and third stamp to match every full border stamp that i have. The first grind is to flatten the stamp off at the shaft at a 45 degree angle and the second grind is to flatten the stamp at the angle to match the stamping angle. Thus, i can easily run my border stamps fairly close to any edge without tipping the stamp and possible going over the edge.

The selection of the inside border stamp then is carfully selected to ensure that it reaches every mark left by my border stamping.

The results ensure that no excess marks are left anywhere...

Hope this helps, Curmudgeon

oops, an error: The one stamp is flattened at a 90 degree angle, the second one to match the border stamp angle. Sorry 'bout that. Curmudgeon

Could you attach pictures as to understand better what you are talking about. Of the stamps angles and results on leather?