Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

Doing another bag.

Need some suggestions. Doing another bag. Will be for brother-in-law blackpowder works. I cut a strap 1 1/4" wide and will line the backside of it. I had originally thought to attach with tabs to the front, you can see where I left off lacing and left tab attach points. But I think attaching to the side gusset may be better. Any thoughts or rules to go by? Still got to lace the flap and will continue lacing over tab points or lace tabs to strap. Will be non-adjustable strap. Made just for him.

Competeing for wife for table space. She's painting Santa sweatshirts for Christmas.

Jim

PB272364.JPG

post-41-1196227955_thumb.jpg

Edited by SmilinJim

WOW, those are BEAUTIFUL Sweatshirts.

Oh yes, the bag strap....I'd put it on the gusset, I see that you already have made accomodations for it there.

Ken

I agree on the gussets, and I look forward to seeing the bag when you're finished with it!

Thanks

I have made quite a few of these and generally attach them to the back, though I have also made and seen designs where they are attached to the gussets and even the top of the bag. Since this type of bag was typically home made, or by some local saddle or harness maker there was a wide range of variation and no really "right " historical solution. Looks like you have made accomodations for the straps on the gussets and from the design it looks like it would be the best place to attach them.

i vote for gussets. it puts less strain on the stitching when loaded imo.