RKCrowe

Cutting The 45

Good day to all.

I was looking for information on cutting quality and consistent 45 degree beveled edges, especially on a piece of leather cut round. As in the bottom/top of a cylindrical project.

Any gadgets? diy or for purchase.

Also, what constitutes a though search of the forum, before opening a new thread?

Thanks again

Richard

Not sure how much this might help but, for straight 45 degree cuts I use a piece of 1x2 inch maple with a 45 degree bevel. If you are doing the same size repeatedly perhaps you could have a circular beveled template made from some 1 inch stock.

rick

You might find it easier to set a blade, french edger, or something in a vise ... improvise something ... and move the leather against the fixed blade, rather than move the blade around the leather.

Bill

This might come across as heresy on this site, but i have seed stiffer thicker veg tan cut with a band saw. You can get knife edge blades for them. The tables tilt to any angle. I found Starrett ones here for 15 bux: http://www.bandsawbladesking.com/bandsaw-blade-deals/band-knives/starrett-band-knives-razor-edge-band-knife/

Starretts are good, never dealt with the seller.

Best way that I have found to search the forum is to go to google and put leatherworker.net in the search box with whatever else you are searching for.

leatherworker.net AND (xyz) AND (abc)

I have used an MDF template and router with a guide bearing before. Makes a lot of shavings, but works well if you support the work.

That bandsaw trick would be fantastic for those that have a bandsaw - great idea!

I think most of us have a block of wood cut at the right angle and then place the blade against that for consistency.

Best way that I have found to search the forum is to go to google and put leatherworker.net in the search box with whatever else you are searching for.

leatherworker.net AND (xyz) AND (abc)

Can also use site:leatherworker.net as part of the search parameters. Restricts the search to this site. Can do sub searches also the same way.

Tom

Can also use site:leatherworker.net as part of the search parameters. Restricts the search to this site. Can do sub searches also the same way.

Tom

I am lazy, i just click the "more results from this site" under the leatherworker.net results in google if i just plug in the search terms..