JanC

How Does Wicket & Craig Tooling Compare To Hermann Oak Tooling?

I haven't had the chance to work with the W&C stuff but I do love their bridle. Hermann Oak is good, but pretty stiff. I'm hoping for more of a softer feel. How does W&C compare?

Also, does anyone know of a natural veg tanned leather that compares to Tandy's Royal Meadow tooling sides? The grain is nice and tight and has a buttery feel.

Thanks!

Been a while since i used the W/C, but the carving leather - my opinion - is a bit 'stiffer' than HO. Either can be softened a bit, but I LIKE the firmness.

But, I also like Royal Meadow (about the only thing they carry that I will actually use). I buy most of my 3/4 in this. But, I recently ordered some leather from rjfleather.com that has a similar texture and feel. I haven't carved any as yet, so can't really say if it tools the same. Same feel, though...

they have an ad at the top of this site.

Thanks for the tip on RJF. I'll see if I can get a sample from them... The Royal Meadow has been my favorite natural Ive worked with thus far but $$$ (not a Tandy member).

Every side of W & C I've ever had has been softer than HO. The only exception might be their "work harness" leather, and that isn't any stiffer than Hermann's, just not as soft as the rest of Wickett's leather. Wickett's skirting is always softer and less dense than Hermann's.

W&C russet skirting is the stuff to get if you want soft...great coloring to leave nat'l too.

And of course if will harden if you want it to.