Hi Im Joe

Springfield Leather Upholstery Leather Question...

Hello experts,

Has anyone ordered this type of upholstery leather from Springfield:

http://springfieldleather.com/41093/Hide%2CUC%2CPolished%2CFlame/

http://springfieldleather.com/18231/Hide%2CMiracleUphlstry%2CRed/

I am making an envelope style handbag and was curious if anyone could give me some advice on using this upholstery type leather.

Thank you so much!

Joe

Edited by Hi Im Joe

I have a few samples of the first link from Springfield. The front is smooth but not fake feeling like other upholstery leathers and the colour is vibrant. The back of the leather has some grid like pattern like it was sanded, not so much bad quality but is odd. Originally I thought it was some good quality artificial leather, but the people at SLC replied to my email and said it was real leather from italy. Good quality from the sample and price.

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, they were out of stock on that leather so I ended up buying this:

http://springfieldleather.com/18231/Hide%2CMiracleUphlstry%2CRed/

It should get here today. So hopefully it works....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If you happen to make any card holders let me know if its suitable. Been thinking about making wallets like bellroy styled with both edges folded in using upholstery leather like the one you bought thinned down.

I think the Kampelli is 3 oz. The stuff I bought is 3.5 to 4 oz. I am using it to make an envelope purse. I'll have some left over and was thinking about making a simple long wallet to go with it. I'll post it up when I'm done!

Tandy has a sale on some finished whole hides if you can find a colour you might like. I managed to pick up a 40 sq ft hide in cream and a 42 sq ft hide in dark brown for $45 a piece. Here's a bag I'm working on, I just don't know what I'm gonna do yet for the shoulder strap. If you want to do more with this type of leather I recommend watching Arthur Porter's videos on youtube. I've learned a lot from his videos.

post-52450-0-41198800-1405666617_thumb.j

post-52450-0-22368000-1405666660_thumb.j

Arthur Porter is the MAN! I love that guy. So much knowledge and passed out so freely. Your bag is looking pretty nice! I love the word gussie. Makes me laugh everytime.

Arthur Porter is the MAN! I love that guy. So much knowledge and passed out so freely. Your bag is looking pretty nice! I love the word gussie. Makes me laugh everytime.

+1 on Arthur Porter and his vids. It isn't often you get every last detail of a project from a video. So many times I've been frustrated because the video skips something it assumes I know. Not Mr. Porter's videos. Of course, you need to dedicate some time to watching them :)

Just wanted to say. I received my delivery from Springfield. The leather looks great. However, it was cut from the shoulder of the hide and included the neck portion which is unusable (loose grain and very very hairy flesh). So I called Springfield and asked if this was normal. They said they start the cutting from the shoulder region and did include the neck. I told them I couldn't use it for the project I am making. They were awesome and asked me if they sent me 2 extra sq feet at no extra charge (including shipping) could I finish my project. I told them yes and am a very satisfied customer. The ladies I spoke with very both very courteous and professional.

Props to SLC. I will order from them again.