alb

Need Some Practical Advice

Hello,

I have a saddle repair shop and do a lot of stitching on a Ferdinand Bull. I love this machine and I'm getting better at using it as I get more practice.

I am wondering how those with more experience check that the tension is correct when you're stitching.

Yesterday I sewed an overlay onto a fender and it was only after I finished that I realized my top tension was off. The top stitch looked great. Usually when I'm stitching multiple heavy pieces of leather I grab a couple of scrap pieces that are similar and run a few stitches then check the front and back to check for proper tension and make sure my stitch length is what I want. But it's not practical to do it for everything and for many items it would be quite difficult to lift them up to look at the underside after starting to stitch.

What do others do?

Also, I have one more question. Every time I back stitch a few stitches and then adjust to go the opposite direction, I have to manually reset the position of the item I'm stitching to hit the next hole, as the machine usually tries to stitch into the hole I just made. I think I'm changing the direction at the wrong point in the cycle of the stitch. When in the cycle should I be making the adjustment to change from reverse to forward and vice versa?

THanks!!!!