I had a brief exposure to leather working when I was a child. I've decided to give it another try and I'm working on figuring out what I need to get started. So far I've purchased the "Leatherwork Manual" and that's it.

For my first project I'd like to make an adjustable belt like the one a friend of mine has. It has a name for the type of belt which I can't remember, but I'd like to surprise him so I'm trying to figure it out on my own. I'm having a hard time finding the necessary hardware. Basically there are two lengths of leather. One has the belt buckle on one end and a pair of hooks at the other. The other has a metal loop at one end with a parallel line of holes for the size adjustments and the other end has the holes for the buckle.

Does anyone have any idea what this type of belt is called or where I could find the necessary hardware?

For this project I believe I would need to purchase the following:

Work surface (special rubber mat to protect table and tools)

Steel Ruler

Beveled and/or Trim Knife

Mallet

Punch Set (holes for hooks and buckle)

Leather (scrap to practice with and good for project)

Am I missing any of the basic tools that I would need?

You'll need your hardware; you'll need rivets or snaps or screws (options) and tools to set them, your mallet (or a maul, or brass hammer); I'd punch oblong holes for buckling so a oblong punch for that in addition to your other which I'd opt for a set of varied sizes; I'd put a crease around the edge so a creaser; if you're going to dye it you'll need dye; I'd get an edge beveller and put a niece edge on it; to finish the edge med., fine and extra fine sandpaper and a piece of canvas to burnish the final edge and beeswax or paraffin also for burnishing the edges. A strap cutter makes for easy cutting of straps and I like to thin the buckle fold and billet end slightly for a flatter, less protruding, fit when buckled around your waist. You can thin it with a safety beveller or head knife; you'll have to practice on it - takes some skill - go sloooow! I can't do beans without a head knife and some folks are afraid of them. They're like a gun - they have one purpose to cut, they don't care who or what. Keep all your gear behind the cutting edge just like it's the muzzle of a gun. Fear will never get anywhere.

You'll probably want to put a finish on it, and it may need some oil depending on what you select. I prefer Lexol, some folks neatsfoot, other olive oil. Never under estimate neutral Kiwi shoe paste. There are lots of choices and I'd sample them on a scrap before I put them on what I've toiled over. Speaking of which, get enough to make at least 2. If if comes out right you'll need a backup - one is none, two is one and three is better - stuff wears out and breaks when needed most. One for every day and one for Sunday Bar-B-Qs :)

I think the adjustable piece your describing is a frog or sling hook like this: http://www.zackwhite.com/product.php?productid=19381&cat=0&page=1

Maybe this will help some and glad you hear you've relapsed into to world of leather. Surf around here, there's a lot of good folks and they'll share their experiences with you.

Edited by Billsotx

Thank you Billsotx for you help. The hook that you pictured in the link is similar, but not quite what I'm looking for. I did do some additional searching for a frog hook and found a picture that shows some hardware that may be exactly what I'm looking for. Take a look at the picture in the third post in this link to see what I'm talking about. It shows both the hooks and the ring that are on the adjustable part of my friends belt. I'm not sure from the context of the post, but it appears that it is the frog hook that you suggested?

Thank you Billsotx for you help. The hook that you pictured in the link is similar, but not quite what I'm looking for. I did do some additional searching for a frog hook and found a picture that shows some hardware that may be exactly what I'm looking for. Take a look at the picture in the third post in this link to see what I'm talking about. It shows both the hooks and the ring that are on the adjustable part of my friends belt. I'm not sure from the context of the post, but it appears that it is the frog hook that you suggested?

It's the same type. The one on the forum you linked to maybe heavier metal (thicker). I think the one at Zack White will work for a belt. You seem them on Garrison belts that cops wear under their Sam Browne belts - they advertise them as buckle-less systems. As far as sources Google didn't come up with any links to hareware. Maybe someone here will provide a couple more leads. They're typically called rifle sling hooks.

Edited by Billsotx

I have a number of the type you are looking for. Three holes and made for a 1-1/4" strap. I currently have them in light and heavyweight brass and heavyweight steel. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Tom

Shoot me a PM if interested.

I tried to send you a PMs, but I'm getting an error that you are unable to use the messenger system. There is a checkbox in the Personal Settings that disables PMs.

I tried to send you a PMs, but I'm getting an error that you are unable to use the messenger system. There is a checkbox in the Personal Settings that disables PMs.

Sorry 'bout that....corrected.

You can also use the email address listed.

Edited by 556guy

It looks like I'll be getting the sling hooks from Tom, so now I just need to figure out where I'll be buying everything else from after I finalize my list of what to buy.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum and it seems that Tandy Leather is not recommended as a source. I've requested a current catalog from S-T Leather Co. since they were recommended to someone else in a recent thread. I'll do some more reading to see if I can find any place else I should check out.

I talked to my parents this last week about getting into leather working, and it turns out that my Mom still had all the tools from when I was a kid with no plans to use them in the near future. She was perfectly happy to agree to send them to me once she locates the box that they're squirreled away in. So hopefully I'll have most of the tools I need to get started in the next few months!