Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

reins, bosal, and a bracelet

Here are the first set of reins I have completed, a simple 5/8 bosal, and a bracelet for sweetie. Let me know if there is any thing you see that I could be doing to improve.

Thank you

Rob

reinsandromal.JPGSBABosal.JPGbracelet.JPG

post-5521-125699240006_thumb.jpg

post-5521-12569924565_thumb.jpg

post-5521-125699248952_thumb.jpg

Very nice I love rawhide romals and bosals, and you did a great job on both. What type of core did you use in the bosal?

I am always amazed at braiders, not so much at the braiding (which is beautiful) but at the time taken to cut the strings, bevel the strings etc. Is this from a hide you did up yourself, Rob? How much time do you figure you have into the reins? And how much of that is string prep versus braiding?

I know I'd like to be able to see more details in the rein. The photo is not quite large enough for that. Everything else is all good.

Looking good. I am working on my first bosal. I have the core braided and cut string last night for it.

Mike

Hey all,

Denise, I have never kept track but it is possible that with the time spent scraping hair and flesh off to cutting the string, there is an equal split between string prep and braiding. I imagine that buying hides ready to cut into string would leave me ahead in time and money, but hell thats half the fun.

TeamRoper,

I used 3, 3/8 inch wide strpes of rawhide. It makes for a very nice feel to the bosal, firm not ridged.

Hey knothead,

Hope these pictures give you a better look.

rr1.JPG

post-5521-125703406177_thumb.jpg

Lot better view, if your not happy with them I'll send you my mailing address LOL!thumbsup.gif

Nice job Rob! The reins are killer!

I do have a question I have been curious about. How do you mark your items? I'm not a braider, but it would be a shame not to mark it in some way.

As we all know you pay for the name on saddles, bits, spurs........

Nice work. I like the view better, thank you. I couldn't see any of the knots in the first post. I like what ya did there.

Hey all,

Denise, I have never kept track but it is possible that with the time spent scraping hair and flesh off to cutting the string, there is an equal split between string prep and braiding. I imagine that buying hides ready to cut into string would leave me ahead in time and money, but hell thats half the fun.

TeamRoper,

I used 3, 3/8 inch wide strpes of rawhide. It makes for a very nice feel to the bosal, firm not ridged.

Hey knothead,

Hope these pictures give you a better look.

rr1.JPG

Hey all,

Thank you for the kind words, everyones advice and encouragement here has done quite abit to help me along.

Casey,

This is how I mark bosals and hobbles. I cut it into the inside of the popper on the reins. Thought about getting a stamp but sweetie says this looks more personnal. Not sure myself, but for now it works.

sign.JPG

post-5521-125729231607_thumb.jpg