wind power

Wax Thread-Machine Sewing Gurus

Hi folks,

I have a Juki 441 clone and was wondering how in the world can a paerson sew with wax thread?

The machine handles everything I have thrown at it up to 346 but I was needing to use some 277 pink thread but all I could find was waxed....I know from learning in this forum that wax thread gives fits in sewing machines but I tried it anyway and it was a 100% pain in the rear.

Does anyone know wax thread can be used in the machine?

Perhaps soak the thread in a " thinner" of some sorts to strip away the wax?

Thanks

Edited by wind power

TO quote Wizcrafts

As for waxed thread, your machine cannot sew with it. Waxed thread gums up everything along the path and the eye of the needle. No loop will be formed in the eye of the needle and you will ruin your projects.

Sorry, As far as I know it won't work with waxed thread.

Michael

You can try pulling enough off for your job and pull it through some paper held tight in your hand. It might get enough wax off and slick it up to where it'll work. May or may not work, if it does it's going to be a PITA to do that ever time you want to sew with that thread.

Hi,

Thanks guys!

I tried to pull some of the thread through a rag soaked with denatured alcohol several times....It worked a little bit better but every now and then it still gave me trouble.

I will step down to a 207 thread

Thanks again!

You might be able to sew with unwaxed linen beading thread that is dyed pink.

Sure unwaxed linen works like a champ in all machines. With wax you must use a propane gas heater in your wax pot and trow the pedal to the metal. (and be ready for more butt pains) :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks

Trox

Joke aside, on older Adler class 4 and 5 (and Singer 45K) lock stitch machines they sewed with waxed linen and had gas apparatus for heating. I have seen pictures of it in old manuals/part lists. The shuttle was heated.

Trox